Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate Program
Build on Your Expertise with a Nurse Practitioner Certificate
Move from advanced practice to primary care practice in one year with Gwynedd Mercy University. Our Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate (NPC) program prepares you to make a positive impact on community health as a provider who can offer treatments, diagnoses, prescriptions, and referrals. You can specialize in Adult Gerontology, Primary Care, or Pediatric Primary Care.
The GMercyU Difference
GMercyU’s 25-credit Nurse Practitioner Certificate program is designed for advanced practice nurses who hold a master’s degree in nursing (MSN). It gives you the option to specialize in either Adult - Gerontology, Primary Care or Pediatric Primary Care and prepares you for licensure examinations.
Offered at our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania, this program includes a 600-hour precepted clinical practice element. As you pursue your certificate, you’ll benefit from close working relationships with our expert nursing faculty and access to our extensive regional network of health care affiliates.
What You Will Learn – Nurse Practitioner Master’s Certificate Program
The Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate extends the skills and knowledge covered during your MSN program and equips you for the responsibilities of primary care.
After completing this certificate program, you will be able to:
- Collaborate with colleagues and consumers to provide and improve advanced nursing care
- Demonstrate expertise as an advanced practice nurse through the diagnosis and treatment of actual or potential health problems
- Demonstrate professionalism as a nurse practitioner grounded in the Mercy tradition
- Demonstrate social responsibility for individuals, families, and communities within the context of a multicultural society
- Utilize knowledge to provide holistic care in a defined area of advanced practice nursing or nursing education in accordance with standards of practice and codes of ethics
- Strategize to improve health for all by influencing policy
- Synthesize knowledge from nursing and related disciplines as a foundation for evidence-based practice as a nurse practitioner
- Assume a leadership role in interpreting and promoting advanced nursing to members of the profession, to other disciplines, and to consumers
- Contribute to advanced nursing knowledge through scientific inquiry
A Leading Regional Nursing School for Over 50 Years
For more than two generations, Gwynedd Mercy University’s Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions has led the region in health practitioner education. Our small classes and rigorous curriculum produce confident and capable nursing professionals. The nursing faculty members we select bring clinical expertise, academic rigor, and a passion for the nursing profession to the classroom.
The community of nursing experts, scholars, and regional health care leaders we have developed—not to mention our thousands of nursing alumni—provides a wealth of resources for your professional development and personal enrichment. Although you may only spend one year on campus with us, the lasting relationships you’ll establish will stay with you through your career.
The Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate is a one-year nursing certification program. You will take seven courses, including a practicum experience. This includes three foundation courses (a total of seven credits), plus four Nurse Practitioner concentration courses (18 credits).
- Advanced Pharmacology within 4 years
- Advanced Pathophysiology within 5 years
If you do not have the Program Prerequisites you may register for them at Gwynedd Mercy University.
|NUR 569||Advanced Assessment Practicum for Advanced Practice Nurses (two semesters)|
|NUR 570||Advanced Assessment and Clinical Decision Making for Advanced Practice Nursing Across the Lifespan|
|NUR 572||Nurse Practitioner Role Seminar|
Adult-Gerontology Specialization Courses
|NUR 580||Management of Adult - Geriatric Health Concerns I|
|NUR 581||Adult - Geriatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum I|
|NUR 582||Management of Adult - Geriatric Health Concerns II|
|NUR 583||Adult - Geriatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum II|
Pediatric Specialization Courses
|NUR 590||Management of Pediatric Health Concerns I|
|NUR 591||Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum I|
|NUR 592||Management of Pediatric Health Concerns I|
|NUR 593||Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum II|
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog (PDF).
View Gainful Employment Disclosures for the Post-Master's Nurse Practitioner Program.