Online Special Education Supervisor Certification Program
Develop, Direct, and Improve Special Education Programs
Make even more of an impact on special education with Gwynedd Mercy University. We offer experienced special education professionals the opportunity to prepare for their Special Education Supervisory Certification with a convenient, one-year online program.
If you possess a Special Education Certification with a Subject Certification, you have the option to earn your Supervisor of Special Education Certification as part of your EdD program or you can enroll in just the Certification as a standalone.
The Supervisor of Special Education Certification is 15 credits as a standalone option, or if you enroll into our EdD program you only enroll in an additional six credits and you earn your EdD and Certification for a total of 60 credits.
GMercyU's online Special Education Supervisor Certification Program can equip you to provide special education leadership within a wide variety of public and private settings, including:
- Approved private schools
- Charter schools
- Consulting firms
- Detention facilities
- Higher education
- Intermediate units
- Mental health facilities
- School districts
- Social service agencies
The program presents our comprehensive curriculum through a suite of industry-leading interactive collaboration tools powered by Adobe Connect. Hands-on experiences in school settings allow you to apply concepts in practice. The entire program features small classes led by expert faculty advisors who support your success.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
As a GMercyU graduate, you will be able to:
- Apply administrative theory, management, and governance to operational problems of special education
- Effectively communicate with educators, students, and family or community stakeholders to solve problems and advocate for special education programs
- Understand, articulate, and apply principles of IDEA, Response to Intervention and Section 504 to programming content
- Analyze contemporary and controversial issues within the field of special education from an administrative perspective
- Effectively assess the performance of special education providers and supply appropriate guidance, feedback, and discipline
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of special education law by applying fundamental concepts to case studies involving Child Find, Evaluation Process, Procedural Safeguard, IEP Development, Least Restrictive Environment, Related Services, Discipline and Manifestation Determination, and Due Process
The online Special Education Supervisor Certification program consists of 15 credits. Online courses are delivered one at a time in seven-week blocks. After successfully passing your courses, you may apply to take any required certification exams to obtain your certificate.
|EDU 842||School Law and Policy in Special Education|
|EDU 843||Foundations of Special Education Administration|
|EDU 845||Supervision and Administration of Special Education|
|EDU 848||Supervision & Admin of Special Education Practicum I|
|EDU 849||Supervision & Admin of Special Education Practicum II|
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog.
GMercyU faculty members bring direct special education experience, advanced research backgrounds, and a passion for teaching to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively extend your leadership skills to become an administrator of (and advocate for) special education programs.
After graduation, you’ll become part of our alumni network, where you will meet colleagues and friends who will inspire you and your work.
To qualify for admission to our Online Special Education Supervisor Certification, you must provide:
- A master’s degree in education from an institution accredited by the Middle States Association, or comparable accreditation, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- A Graduate Record Examination score of 155 or higher or a Miller Analogy Test percentile of 65 or higher (waived if you had a graduate GPA of 3.5 or greater)
- You must possess a valid Pennsylvania Special Education Certification with a Subject Certification, or, if issued prior to 2013, K12 Special Education Certification. Certification may include one or more areas of special education such as single subject, speech pathology, mentally and physically handicapped, visual impairment, or hearing impairment.
- Official graduate and undergraduate transcripts
- A professional resume
- Two letters of references from persons in leadership roles in your chosen area of concentration attesting that you have the ability to engage in studies and to conduct research
- Official results showing a minimum score of 550 (written), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL examination if your first language is not English
- While not an admissions requirement, PDE requires a minimum of 5 years teaching experience before you are able to secure your Certification through PDE.
Personal interviews may be required for any candidates as determined by the admissions committee. After enrollment, you will also need to obtain a Child Abuse Clearance, Criminal Background Check, and Federal Criminal History.