Earn Your Special Education Certification in PA
Prepare to offer specialized support to students who need it the most with Gwynedd Mercy University’s post-master’s online Special Education Certification program. This Pennsylvania Department of Education-approved program builds on your experience as an educator with theoretical knowledge and practical instructional skills for special education classrooms.
The GMercyU Difference
What You Will Learn - Special Education Certification Program
As a GMercyU graduate, you will be able to:
- Identify and use instructional methods and curricula that are appropriate and effective in meeting the individual needs of persons with exceptionalities
- Select and use appropriate instructional materials, equipment, and supplies in meeting the individual needs of persons with exceptionalities
- Create safe and effective learning environments
- Maintain confidentiality of information except when information is released under specific conditions of written consent and statutory confidentiality requirements
- Apply disciplinary methods and behavioral procedures which will not undermine the dignity of the individual or the basic human rights of persons with exceptionalities
- Utilize assessment instruments and procedures that do not discriminate against persons with exceptionalities on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, age, political practices, family or social background, sexual orientation or exceptionality
- Specify goals and objectives for behavior management practices
- Apply policies, statutes, and rules established by state and local agencies relating to the judicious application of disciplinary methods and behavioral procedures
- Develop communication with parents, avoiding technical terminology, using the primary language of the home, and other modes of communication when appropriate
- Seek and use parents’ knowledge and expertise in planning, conducting, and evaluating special education and related services for persons with exceptionalities
- Inform parents of the educational rights of their children and of any proposed or actual practices, which may violate those rights
- Recognize and acknowledge the competencies and expertise of members representing other disciplines who serve persons with exceptionalities
- Cooperate with other agencies involved in serving persons with exceptional abilities through such activities as the planning and coordination of information exchanges
- Provide consultation and assistance to both general and special educators as well as other school personnel serving persons with exceptionalities
An Educational Community Dedicated to Your Success - And Your Students' Success
At GMercyU, our professors bring direct special education experience, advanced research backgrounds, and a passion for teaching to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively create a safe, productive learning environment for all of your students.
Upon graduation, you and your classmates will join our extensive network of alumni. The colleagues, contacts, and friends you find in this leadership community will inspire you to continue to discover the Next.
The online Special Education Certification program consists of 18 credits. After successfully passing your courses, you may apply to take any required certification exams to obtain your certificate.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
||Diagnosis, Assessment, Prescriptive and Intervention Techniques for Special Learners
||Research-Based Learning Methods and Materials for the Special Learner
||Special Education Law and Ethics
||Standards-Aligned Systems and Seminar on Current Issues in Special Education
||Behavior Management Skills for the Special Learner
||Foundations in Special Education in an Inclusionary Setting
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog (PDF).
Applicants to the PreK-8 Special Education Certification program should hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their studies.
Applicants who fall just below the minimum GPA requirement (2.7-2.9 GPA) may request a review of their application by the program director. However, acceptance of an application for review does not guarantee admission to the program.
Help Exceptional Learners Achieve
Our Outstanding Faculty
Associate Professor and Director, Graduate Studies in Educational Leadership
The online MSEd in Special Education prepares you to provide support to children and teenagers in Pre-K – 8 settings. You will improve your professional presentation and communication skills and become fluent in the research evaluation methods you need to pursue self-directed professional development after graduation.
Job prospects for special education teachers are growing. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 6% growth in the number of special education teachers needed over the 2012-2022 period.