Our Online Accelerated Doctorate Completion Program for ABDs will strengthen your skills in instruction and leadship in:
- U.S. and international schools
- School districts
- Colleges and universities
- Educational policy organizations
- Government and nonprofit organizations that support education
In 18 months, our rigorous course of studies will honor your previous experience with the global outlook, research skills, policy analysis capabilities, instructional expertise, and practical executive leadership abilities you need to lead and transform educational institutions to meet the needs of all learners.
You can continue developing your dissertation in one of four areas of interest:
- Leadership in PreK-12 Schools and School Districts (superintendent letter of eligibility courses may be included)
- Leadership in Higher Education
- Leadership in Special Education (special education supervisory certification courses may be included)
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
ABDs in Education may elect any of the above areas of interest. ABDs in any discipline other than education may apply for the Teaching and Learning in Higher Education program.
All of your coursework for the ABD degree completion program, except residencies, will take place online. Those in the degree completion program are only required to take one weekend residency at our Gwynedd Valley campus, just north of Philadelphia.
From the very beginning, you’ll be matched with a faculty advisor who will meet with you in regular dissertation advisement sessions. With GMercyU, there’s no reason to wait any longer — trade up from ABD to EdD and take your place among the next generation of education leaders.
Gwynedd Mercy Univesity is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Learn more about GMercyU's accreditation. You can also view our current accreditation status.
What You Will Learn - Accelerated Executive Doctorate of Education ABD Completion Program
As a GMercyU ABD doctorate graduate, you will be able to:
- Provide leadership in teaching and learning at the K-12 and college levels
- Articulate an educational organization’s mission, goals, and guiding principles that distinguish the organization from others
- Understand the foundational base of organizational theory and demonstrate the ability to bridge theory and practice
- Given scenarios of conflict, choose ethical courses of action, consistent with Gospel values
- Synthesize and analyze data to reveal relations and causality and convert raw data into actionable information
- View problems and challenges through the lens of a scientist, seeking evidence-based conclusions
- Practice and model steward leadership in transforming organizations to better serve all constituents
- Demonstrate facility in the application of technology to solve problems, analyze and synthesize data, and manage information
Personal Support for ABD Students from Day One
GMercyU faculty members understand the challenges of ABD completion programs. That’s why they’ve helped us develop a program specifically for ABD students like you. Right away, you’ll join a small cohort of classmates and be matched with a faculty advisor. You’ll take supervised dissertation courses early in the program to keep your research and writing on track. Day in and day out, you’ll have the support you need to pursue research that improves education for students and the educators who serve them.
After graduation, you’ll join our extensive national and world-wide network of alumni. The colleagues, contacts, and friends you meet will inspire you.
Admission Requirements – Doctorate of Education Degree Completion Program for ABDs
To qualify for admission to our EdD in Education Degree Completion program, you must provide:
- Proof of A.B.D. or Advanced to Doctoral Candidacy or equivalent status from a regionally accredited institution
- A portfolio of coursework, scholarship, and career evidence for the Prior Learning Assessment
- Official graduate transcripts
- A Graduate Record Examination score of 155 or higher or a Miller Analogy Test score of 385 or higher (waived if you had a graduate GPA of 3.5 or greater)
- A resume showing professional experience and academic scholarship
- Three letters of reference from persons in leadership roles in your chosen area of concentration attesting that you have the ability to engage in studies at the doctoral level and to conduct research
- A personal interview with a member of the graduate faculty representing the applicant’s preferred area of concentration (in person or via electronic means, if the distance is a factor)
- Evidence that you have received a minimum score of 550 (written), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL examination if English is not your first language.
Applicants who cannot meet one or more of the above requirements are encouraged to contact the Program Director for a review of qualifications. After enrollment, you will also need to obtain a Child Abuse Clearance, Criminal Background Check, and Federal Criminal History.
Learn more about GMercyU's online and accelerated financial aid and tuition.