Online Master of Science in Educational Administration - K-12 Principal Certification
Graduate from Classroom Leadership to School Leadership
As an experienced classroom teacher, you probably see opportunities for growth and development in your school community. At Gwynedd Mercy University, you can equip yourself with the skills and knowledge you need to make your vision of success a reality.
Our 33-credit online Master of Science in Educational Administration — K-12 Principal Certification can prepare you to take on the challenges facing today’s educational leaders.
This program can prepare you to earn your Administrative I Certification in Pennsylvania.
See Program Details
The GMercyU Difference
The MS in Educational Administration features comprehensive professional preparation for the next phase of your educational career. You’ll develop practical managerial skills that will help you nurture talent in your teachers and staff. You’ll gain insight into issues of school finance, law, and community relations. You’ll also explore the social, political, and economic issues that influence the course of public education in the United States. Finally, you’ll undertake an in-person professional practicum experience under the guidance of GMercyU faculty and a mentor administrator.
Courses are delivered one at a time in seven-week blocks. With GMercyU, you can prepare for the challenges of school leadership without disrupting your busy schedule.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
The online MS in Educational Administration extends the leadership skills you’ve developed as a teacher and staff member for school management. While pursuing this degree, you will hone your ability to deliver professional presentations, perform research, and write for a variety of audiences. After graduation, you should be prepared to continue with self-directed professional development and evaluation of new educational research.
As a GMercyU graduate, you will be able to:
- Think and plan strategically to create an organizational vision focused on student success and communicate the vision to all relevant stakeholders
- Create an organizational culture of teaching and learning in which student learning is paramount
- Manage resources effectively to bring about desired results
- Collaborate, communicate and empower others inside and outside the organization to pursue excellence in learning
- Operate fairly and equitably exhibiting personal and professional integrity
Upon completing this program, you will be prepared to take the School Leaders Licensure Assessment in the School Leadership Test Series to earn your Administrative I Certificate.
At GMercyU, we select faculty members whose achievements inspire us. Our professors bring direct school experience, advanced research backgrounds, and a passion for teaching to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively create a safe, productive learning environment for all of your students.
Upon graduation, you and your classmates will join our extensive network of alumni. The colleagues, contacts, and friends you find in this leadership community will inspire you to continue to discover the Next.
The online MS in Educational Administration is a 20-month program that consists of 33 credits. After successfully passing these courses, you may apply to take any required certification exams to obtain your certification as a principal in Pennsylvania.
Please note that, per Pennsylvania Department of Education regulations, you must have at least three (3) years of full-time teaching experience with an Instructional I Certification before you can obtain Principal Certification. You will need to have at least one year of experience when you begin your master’s degree in order to meet this requirement at graduation.
Course Requirements – 33 Credits
|EDU 570||Research Skills for School Leadership|
|EDU 571||The Principalship|
|EDU 572||Curriculum and Instructional Supervision|
|EDU 573||School-Community Relations|
|EDU 574||School Law and Policy Issues|
|EDU 576||Human Resources and Staff Development|
|EDU 577||School Resources Management|
|EDU 578||Educational Leadership and Equity|
|EDU 579||Current Issues in Education|
|EDU 595||Practicum I: Leadership in Supervision & School Administration|
|EDU 596||Practicum II: K-12 Principalship|
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog.
To qualify for admission to Master's in Educational Administration, you must provide:
- Proof you have obtained a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0** You must provide official transcripts from every college or university attended
- Proof of a current Pennsylvania Instructional I Certificate
- A completed application form with fee
- A current professional resume demonstrating at least three years of full-time teaching experience
- A writing sample stating your professional and academic goals (one page, double-spaced)
- Two completed supervisory reference forms
- A minimum score of 550 (written), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL examination if English is not your native language
* If you wish to become a principal in another state, you will need to confirm with your state’s department of education that our program meets its requirements.
**If your GPA was lower than 3.0, we encourage you to apply for evaluation on a case by case basis. Personal interviews may be required for any candidates as determined by the admissions committee.
What You Can Do With a Master’s in Educational Administration
GMercyU’s Master of Science in Educational Administration teaches the skills you need to become certified as a principal in Pennsylvania. After graduation, you should be equipped to pursue leadership roles including principal, vice principal, assistant principal, and more.
*Please note: If you teach in another state, you should confirm with your department of education that our program meets its requirements.
Learn more about how you can prepare for a future as a principal with our innovative online Masters in Educational Administration degree program.
Call 844-707-9064 or email email@example.com to contact an admissions counselor. You also can also request more information today!