Online Master's Degree in Special Education
Gain Advanced Skills for PreK-12 Special Education Environments
Expand your skillset as an educator and prepare to offer specialized support to students who need it the most with Gwynedd Mercy University’s online Master of Science in Special Education degree.
This unique accelerated program will prepare you to become a certified Special Education teacher in Pennsylvania while also providing the advanced training of a master’s degree in special education.
See Program Details
The GMercyU Difference
In this Pennsylvania Department of Education-approved program, you’ll gain theoretical knowledge and practical instructional skills for special education classrooms. You’ll also explore and analyze the social, political, and economic issues that influence the course of public education in the United States.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
The online Master's degree in Special Education will expand your skillset with rigorous course content that prepares you for advanced educational practice in PreK-12 classrooms. We also provide the tools you need to pursue self-directed professional action research and evaluate new instructional techniques after graduation.
As a GMercyU Masters in Special Education graduate, you will be able to:
- Identify and use instructional methods and curricula that are appropriate and effective in meeting the individual needs of persons with exceptionalities
- Select and use appropriate instructional materials, equipment, and supplies in meeting the individual needs of persons with exceptionalities
- Create safe and effective learning environments
- Maintain confidentiality of information except when information is released under specific conditions of written consent and statutory confidentiality requirements
- Apply disciplinary methods and behavioral procedures which will not undermine the dignity of the individual or the basic human rights of persons with exceptionalities
- Utilize assessment instruments and procedures that do not discriminate against persons with exceptionalities on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, age, political practices, family or social background, sexual orientation or exceptionality
- Specify goals and objectives for behavior management practices
- Apply policies, statutes, and rules established by state and local agencies relating to the judicious application of disciplinary methods and behavioral procedures
- Develop communication with parents, avoiding technical terminology, using the primary language of the home, and other modes of communication when appropriate
- Seek and use parents’ knowledge and expertise in planning, conducting, and evaluating special education and related services for persons with exceptionalities
- Inform parents of the educational rights of their children and of any proposed or actual practices, which may violate those rights
- Recognize and acknowledge the competencies and expertise of members representing other disciplines who serve persons with exceptionalities
- Cooperate with other agencies involved in serving persons with exceptional abilities through such activities as the planning and coordination of information exchanges
- Provide consultation and assistance to both general and special educators as well as other school personnel serving persons with exceptionalities
At GMercyU, our professors bring direct special education experience, advanced research backgrounds, and a passion for teaching to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively create a safe, productive learning environment for all of your students.
Once you graduate and earn your Masters in Special Education, you and your classmates will join our extensive network of alumni. The colleagues, contacts, and friends you find in this leadership community will inspire you to continue your passion for education.
The online Master's in Special Education is a 33-credit, two-year online program featuring an accelerated format in which you take courses one at a time in seven-week blocks. The total number of credits you take depends on your choice of certification and endorsement options. After successfully passing these courses, you may apply to take any required certification exams to obtain your certificate.
|EDU 502||The Learning and Teaching Process|
|EDU 520||Methods, Materials, and Curriculum|
|EDU 562||Special Education Law and Ethics|
|EDU 563||Current Issues in Special Education|
|EDU 581||Foundations of Special Education in an Inclusionary Setting|
|SPE 560||Diagnostic, Assessment, Prescriptive & Interventive Techniques for Special Education|
|SPE 561||Researched Based Learning Methods & Materials for the Special Learner|
|SPE 564||Behavior Management Skills for the Special Learner|
|EDU 510||Action Research for Teachers, Part 1|
|EDU 582||Effective Communication for Educators|
|EDU 603||Action Research for Teachers, Part 2|
To review MS Special Education course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog.
To qualify for admission to our Master's degree in Special Education program, you must provide:
- Proof you have obtained a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0.* You must submit official transcripts from every college or university attended
- Proof of a Level I Certificate in one of the following areas: N-3, K-6, Pre K-4, K-12 and Reading Specialist
- A completed application form with fee
- A current professional resume
- Two completed supervisory reference forms
- A minimum score of 550 (written), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL examination if English is not your native language
*If your GPA was lower than 3.0, we encourage you to apply for evaluation on a case-by-case basis. Personal interviews may be required for any candidates as determined by the admissions committee.
Learn more about how you can become a special education teacher with our innovative online master’s degree program.
Call 844-707-9064 or email email@example.com to contact an admissions counselor. You also can also request more information today!