In this Pennsylvania Department of Education-approved program, you’ll gain theoretical knowledge and practical instructional skills for special education classrooms. You’ll also explore and analyze the social, political, and economic issues that influence the course of public education in the United States.
Online Master of Science in Pre-K-12 Special Education - 36 Credits
What You Will Learn
The online Master's degree in Special Education will expand your skillset with rigorous course content that prepares you for advanced educational practice in PreK-12 classrooms. We also provide the tools you need to pursue self-directed professional action research and evaluate new instructional techniques after graduation.
As a GMercyU Masters in Special Education graduate, you will be able to:
- Identify and use instructional methods and curricula that are appropriate and effective in meeting the individual needs of persons with exceptionalities
- Select and use appropriate instructional materials, equipment, and supplies in meeting the individual needs of persons with exceptionalities
- Create safe and effective learning environments
- Maintain confidentiality of information except when information is released under specific conditions of written consent and statutory confidentiality requirements
- Apply disciplinary methods and behavioral procedures which will not undermine the dignity of the individual or the basic human rights of persons with exceptionalities
- Utilize assessment instruments and procedures that do not discriminate against persons with exceptionalities on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, age, political practices, family or social background, sexual orientation or exceptionality
- Specify goals and objectives for behavior management practices
- Apply policies, statutes, and rules established by state and local agencies relating to the judicious application of disciplinary methods and behavioral procedures
- Develop communication with parents, avoiding technical terminology, using the primary language of the home, and other modes of communication when appropriate
- Seek and use parents’ knowledge and expertise in planning, conducting, and evaluating special education and related services for persons with exceptionalities
- Inform parents of the educational rights of their children and of any proposed or actual practices, which may violate those rights
- Recognize and acknowledge the competencies and expertise of members representing other disciplines who serve persons with exceptionalities
- Cooperate with other agencies involved in serving persons with exceptional abilities through such activities as the planning and coordination of information exchanges
- Provide consultation and assistance to both general and special educators as well as other school personnel serving persons with exceptionalities
An Educational Community Dedicated to Your Success - and Your Students' Success
At GMercyU, our professors bring direct special education experience, advanced research backgrounds, and a passion for teaching to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively create a safe, productive learning environment for all of your students.
Once you graduate and earn your Masters in Special Education, you and your classmates will join our extensive network of alumni. The colleagues, contacts, and friends you find in this leadership community will inspire you to continue your passion for education.