Online Superintendent Certification Program
Provide Confident, Capable Leadership for School Districts
Take your experience as an educator and administrator to new levels—prepare for Superintendent Certification with Gwynedd Mercy University.
Our innovative online program offers you comprehensive professional preparation in a flexible format.
In one year of study, you can gain the advanced knowledge of educational law, financial management, and transformational school leadership this role requires.
The program presents our comprehensive curriculum through a suite of industry-leading interactive collaboration tools powered by Adobe Connect. Hands-on experiences in school district settings allow you to apply concepts in practice. The entire program features small classes led by expert faculty advisors who support your success. After completing this program, you will receive a Letter of Eligibility recommending you for Superintendent Certification in Pennsylvania.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
This program is appropriate for experienced school administration professionals who have a doctorate in education or a master’s degree or post-master’s certificate in educational leadership. At the time of graduation, you will need to have at least three years’ experience in an educational setting in order to be eligible for certification.
As a GMercyU graduate, you will be able to:
- Understand and carry out the roles of superintendents, including boardsmanship, instructional leadership, human resources management, financial stewardship, and community organizing
- Successfully navigate the politics of school district governance to drive positive change and successful outcomes for schools
- Apply management and change management theory to improve community relations, instructional quality, and the culture of schools you supervise
- Provide strategic, data-informed plans that create an organizational vision focused on student success
- Support efforts of faculty and administrators to provide student-centered teaching and learning
- Act as an advocate for children and schools within the wider political, social, and public spheres
GMercyU faculty members bring direct special education experience, advanced research backgrounds, and a passion for teaching to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively extend your leadership skills to the highest levels of practice.
You’ll also connect to our extensive alumni network, where you will meet colleagues and friends who will inspire you and your work.
The online Superintendent Certification program consists of 24 credits. After successfully passing your courses, you may apply to take any required certification exams to obtain your certificate.
|EDU 821||The Superintendency|
|EDU 822||School Boards and School District Governance|
|EDU 824||Transformational Leadership and School Turn-Around|
|EDU 828||School District Practicum I|
|EDU 829||School District Practicum II|
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog.
- A master’s degree in education from an institution accredited by the Middle States Association, or comparable accreditation, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.Applicants should hold a master’s degree or have earned a post-master’s certificate in educational leadership.
- A Graduate Record Examination score of 155 or higher or a Miller Analogy Test percentile of 65 or higher (waived if you had a graduate GPA of 3.5 or greater)
- Official graduate and undergraduate transcripts
- A professional resume
- Two letters of references from persons in leadership roles in your chosen area of concentration attesting that you have the ability to engage in studies and to conduct research
- Official results showing a minimum score of 550 (written), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL examination if your first language is not English
- While not an admissions requirement, PDE requires you to demonstrate three years of experience as an educational administrator or principal in order to secure your Certification through PDE.