Online Principal Certification Program (K-12) Post-Master's
Graduate from Classroom Leadership to School Leadership
Prepare for the challenges of school leadership with GMercyU’s online 30-credit Administrative I Certification preparation program.*
This comprehensive post-master’s online principal certification preparation program builds on your skills and experience to equip you to become an administrator or principal in a K-12 school.
Through a combination of online coursework and in-person practicum experiences, GMercyU’s online principal certification program will help you develop:
- Practical managerial skills that will help you nurture talent in your teachers and staff
- Insight into issues of school finance, law, and community relations
- Understanding of the social, political, and economic issues that influence public education in the United States
Courses are presented in an accelerated format where you'll take one course at a time in seven-week blocks. With GMercyU, you can prepare for the challenges of school leadership without disrupting your busy schedule.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
As a GMercyU graduate, you will be able to:
- Think and plan strategically to create an organizational vision focused on student success and communicate the vision to all relevant stakeholders
- Create an organizational culture of teaching and learning in which student learning is paramount
- Manage resources effectively to bring about desired results
- Collaborate, communicate and empower others inside and outside the organization to pursue excellence in learning
- Operate fairly and equitably exhibiting personal and professional integrity
Upon completing this program, you will be prepared to take the School Leaders Licensure Assessment in the School Leadership Test Series to earn your Administrative I Certificate.
At GMercyU, we select faculty members whose achievements inspire us. Our professors bring direct school experience, advanced research backgrounds, and a passion for teaching to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively create a safe, productive learning environment for all of your students.
Upon graduation, you and your classmates will join our extensive network of alumni. The colleagues, contacts, and friends you find in this leadership community will inspire you.
The online Principal Certification program consists of 30 credits. Please note that, as per Pennsylvania Department of Education regulations, you must have at least three (3) years of full-time teaching experience with an Instructional I certification before you can obtain Principal Certification.
|EDU 571||The Principalship|
|EDU 572||Curriculum and Instructional Supervision|
|EDU 573||Communications and School-Community Relations|
|EDU 574||School Law and Policy Issues|
|EDU 576||Human Resources and Staff Development|
|EDU 577||School Resources Management|
|EDU 578||Educational Leadership|
|EDU 579||Seminar on Current Issues in Education|
|EDU 595||Practicum I: Leadership and School Administration|
|EDU 596||Practicum II: K-12 Principalship|
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog.
To qualify for admission to our post-master’s education certification programs, you must provide:
- Proof you have obtained a master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0*
- Official transcripts from every college or university attended
- Proof of a current Pennsylvania Instructional I Certificate
- A completed application form with fee
- A current professional resume demonstrating at least five years of full-time teaching experience
- A writing sample stating your professional and academic goals (one page, double-spaced)
- Two completed supervisory reference forms
- A minimum score of 550 (written), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL examination if English is not your native language
*If your GPA was lower than 3.0, we encourage you to apply for evaluation on a case-by-case basis. Personal interviews may be required for any candidates as determined by the admissions committee.