Online Accelerated Master Teacher Program (MSEd)
Professional Preparation for Experienced Teachers
Connect with your students more effectively—and maintain control of your busy schedule—with Gwynedd Mercy University’s online accelerated Master Teacher Program (MSEd).
This online accelerated 30-credit Master of Education program offers certified PreK-12 teachers like you the opportunity to enhance and extend your instructional expertise. You’ll also explore and analyze social, political, and economic issues that influence the course of public education in the United States.
When you're ready to become a master teacher, GMercyU’s online accelerated master teacher program will help you achieve your goals.
Our online MSEd – Master Teacher Program provides the professional enrichment you need to keep your instructional skills current in a rapidly changing educational environment. You will emerge from this program with renewed confidence in your ability to assess and meet the needs of the diverse learners who enter your classroom.
As a GMercyU graduate, you will be able to:
- Apply theoretical and practical knowledge in support of your professional practice
- Utilize educational research and develop your own research interests and agenda
- Examine and critique the economic, political, cultural, historical, and social influences that impact education in the United States
- Apply policies, statutes, and rules established by state and local agencies relating to judicious application of disciplinary methods and behavioral procedures
- Identify and use instructional methods and curricula that are appropriate and effective in meeting the needs of individual learners
At GMercyU, we select faculty members who have records of distinction. In addition to demonstrated expertise in teaching, our professors bring direct K-12 classroom experience and advanced research backgrounds to your classroom. Their insights and mentorship will help you effectively communicate your passion for learning to the young people you teach.
Upon graduation, you and your classmates will join our extensive network of alumni. The colleagues, contacts, and friends you find in this leadership community will inspire you.
To qualify for admission to our Master's Degree in Education - Master Teacher Program, you must provide:
- Proof you have obtained a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0.* You must submit official transcripts from every college or university attended
- Proof of a current Teacher I Certification
- A completed application form with fee
- A current professional resume
- A writing sample stating your professional and academic goals (one page double-spaced)
- Two completed supervisory reference forms
- A minimum score of 550 (written), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet) on the TOEFL examination if English is not your native language
*If your GPA was lower than 3.0, we encourage you to apply for evaluation on a case by case basis. Personal interviews may be required for any candidates as determined by the admissions committee.
The MSEd – Master Teacher Program is a two-year advanced degree program. You will take 10 courses (a total of 30 credits). Courses run one at a time, in seven-week sessions.
|EDU 502||The Learning and Teaching Process|
|EDU 503||Social and Political Foundations of Education|
|EDU 510||Research Skills for Reflective Practitioners|
|EDU 522||Inter-Group Theory and Research|
|EDU 551||Computer Applications for Educators|
|EDU 580||Multicultural & Diversity Issues in Education|
|EDU 581||Foundations of Special Education in an Inclusionary Setting|
|EDU 582||Effective Communication for Educators|
|EDU 591||Standards Aligned System, Curriculum Development and Peer Counseling|
|EDU 603||Culminating Project|
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog.
What You Can Do With a Master of Science in Education
GMercyU’s Master of Science in Education teaches the skills you need to advance your practice as a PreK-12 teacher. We’ve designed the program specifically for those who are already teaching in Pennsylvania on an Instructional I Certification. If you teach in another state, you should confirm with your department of education that our program meets its requirements. Find more information here.