Nurse Practitioner Degree Program (MS)
Empower Patients—and Yourself—as a Nurse Practitioner
Help educate patients and families about self care while expanding access to primary health services: become a nurse practitioner. As a certified nurse practitioner, you’ll gain the ability to diagnose patients, provide treatments, and prescribe medications. Gwynedd Mercy University’s Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Practitioner (MSN-NP) degree program teaches you the advanced clinical skills you need to make a career in primary care your reality.
The GMercyU Difference
Gwynedd Mercy University’s 43-credit nurse practitioner degree program, available at our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, offers you a choice of two population specialization areas:
- Adult - Gerontology—for patients from adolescence to the elder years
- Pediatrics—for patients from birth to age 21
The curriculum includes 600 hours of precepted clinical and role specialty practice, with clinical sites available across GMercyU’s network of health care affiliates. After graduation, you should be prepared to pass the American Nurses Credentialing Center Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Primary Care or Pediatrics Nurse Practitioner Primary Care examination.
The MSN-NP also provides the academic foundation you need to pursue a doctoral degree in nursing, such as our Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program. If you already hold a Master of Science in Nursing, you can prepare to become an NP with our Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate.
Where the Nurse Practitioner Program Can Take You
Earning your MSN-NP opens up a new range of nursing career opportunities. Depending upon the regulations in your state, you may have some of these roles and responsibilities:
- Provide primary care services in private practice
- Work alongside a supervising physician in primary care
- Serve patients in hospital or clinical settings
- Provide health education as part of community health and wellness programs
Potential Nurse Practitioner Job Titles and Median Salaries
|Career Opportunities||Median Salary|
|Family Nurse Practitioner||$88,274i|
|Pediatric Nurse Practitioner||$83,850ii|
What You Will Learn - Nurse Practitioner Master's Degree Program
The MSN-NP prepares you for the responsibilities of primary care. Over the course of the program, you’ll expand your clinical knowledge and clinical practice skills, engage in professional research and writing, and explore contemporary issues in policy and society that impact health care. You’ll emerge from this program equipped to be the health practitioner and advocate your patients need.
As a GMercyU Master of Science in Nursing graduate, you will be able to:
- Collaborate with colleagues and consumers to provide and improve advanced nursing care
- Demonstrate expertise as an advanced practice nurse through the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic health problems
- Demonstrate professionalism as a nurse practitioner grounded in the Mercy tradition
- Demonstrate social responsibility for individuals, families, and communities within the context of a multicultural society
- Utilize knowledge to provide holistic care in a defined area of advanced practice nursing or nursing education in accordance with standards of practice and codes of ethics
- Strategize to improve health for all by influencing policy
- Synthesize knowledge from nursing and related disciplines as a foundation for evidence-based practice as a nurse practitioner
- Assume a leadership role in interpreting and promoting advanced nursing to members of the profession, to other disciplines, and to consumers
- Contribute to advanced nursing knowledge through scientific inquiry
A Leading Regional Nursing School for Over 50 Years
For more than two generations, Gwynedd Mercy University’s Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions has led the region in health practitioner education. Our small classes and rigorous curriculum produce confident and capable nursing professionals. The nursing faculty members we select bring clinical expertise, academic rigor, and a passion for the nursing profession to the classroom.
The community of nursing experts, scholars, and regional health care leaders we have developed—not to mention our thousands of nursing alumni—is an invaluable resource for your professional development and personal enrichment. Inside and outside the classroom, the GMercyU community offers you the opportunity to discover the Next.
The MSN-NP is a two-year advanced practice nursing program. You will take 12 courses and complete a practicum experience. This includes seven foundation courses (a total of 19 credits), plus five Nurse Practitioner concentration courses (24 credits).
|NUR 500||Pharmacotherapeutics for Advanced Practice Nursing Across the Lifespan|
|NUR 510||Pathophysiology for Advanced Practice Nursing|
|NUR 530||Theoretical Foundations of Nursing|
|NUR 569||Advanced Assessment Practicum for Advanced Practice Nurses (two semesters)|
|NUR 570||Advanced Assessment and Clinical Decision Making for Advanced Practice Nursing Across the Lifespan|
|NUR 610||Research Methodology|
|NUR 615||Research Seminar|
Adult-Gerontology Specialization Courses
|NUR 572||Nurse Practitioner Role Seminar|
|NUR 580||Management of Adult - Geriatric Health Concerns I|
|NUR 581||Adult - Geriatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum I|
|NUR 582||Management of Adult - Geriatric Health Concerns II|
|NUR 583||Adult - Geriatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum II|
Pediatric Specialization Courses
|NUR 572||Nurse Practitioner Role Seminar|
|NUR 590||Management of Pediatric Health Concerns I|
|NUR 591||Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum I|
|NUR 592||Management of Pediatric Health Concerns II|
|NUR 593||Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Practicum II|
To review course descriptions, please refer to the graduate catalog (PDF).
Become a Nurse Practitioner with GMercyU
In addition to the University’s accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral programs as well as the post-graduate APRN certificate program in Gwynedd Mercy University's Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (www.ccneaccreditation.org).