School of Education Degrees & Teaching Programs
Teaching and Education Degree Programs in PA
GMercyU’s School of Education will help you become the teacher or education administrator you aspire to be. With state-of-the-art technology and experienced educators as your guide, you will develop the teaching, classroom management, and educational leadership skills you need to make a real and lasting difference in the lives of students.
Each of the following four-year undergraduate education degree programs are offered on our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pa., and include extensive opportunities to spend time in school classrooms beginning as early as the second week of September of your freshman year!
- B.S. in Education Studies
All undergraduate education majors start out in our Education Studies program. Once you’ve completed at least 45 credits with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and passed a Basic Skills Assessment Test as required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, you may apply to one of the teacher certification programs listed below.
- B.S. in Early Education (PreK-4)
This program will prepare you to become a certified Pre-K through grade 4 teacher in Pennsylvania. Upon completion of this program and the passing of the Pennsylvania Department of Education teacher certification test, you will be eligible to apply for PreK-4 teacher certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- B.S. in Early Education (PreK-4) and Special Education (PreK-12 )
This dual major will prepare you to become certified as a teacher in both PreK-4 and PreK-12 Special Education in Pennsylvania. Upon completion of this program and the passing of the required Pennsylvania Department of Education tests, you will be eligible to apply for PreK-4 and Special Education (PreK-12) teacher certifications in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- B.S. in Special Education (PreK-12)
Prepare to become certified as a special education teacher, PreK through grade 12. This degree is also the perfect path for pursuing an applied behavioral analysis (ABA) certification program on the graduate level, which could further boost your salary and employment opportunities as a special education teacher.
- 5 Year (4+1) BS/MsEd: Fast-Track Master of Science in Education Program
Interested in teaching secondary school? Students in our Biology or History program can earn their bachelor's degree and master's degree in education in just five years.
TAP Into Your Potential
Through our Teacher Apprentice Program (TAP), our undergraduate education majors participate in classroom observations beginning in their first semester on campus and then continue to gain hands-on experience through pre-student and student teaching opportunities.
Get the Hands-On Experience and Support You Need
- Personal advisor to guide you through all four years of your program
- Dedicated Field Placement Director to support you in your student teaching experiences
- Certification Coordinator for Education to help ensure you meet the requirements to become a certified teacher in Pennsylvania
Some programs offered by the School of Education may require a criminal background check, child abuse clearance, specific immunizations, and other health-related clearances to participate in experiential learning required as part of your undergraduate curriculum. In addition, some careers require a criminal background check and/or certain immunizations as a condition of employment. See the undergraduate catalog for more information and course descriptions.
Gwynedd Mercy University offers the programs you need to achieve your goals in advancing your career. Each of the programs below is offered in a fully online format that allows you to earn your advanced education degree without interrupting your career. You will learn with and be supported by qualified faculty and other educators from around the country.
- Online Master of Science in Education – New Teacher Certification
- Online Master of Science in Education – Master Teacher Program
- Online Master of Science in Special Education (PreK-12 Certification)
- Online Master of Science in Educational Administration - K-12 Principal Certification
- Online Master of Science in Educational Administration – Curriculum and Instruction
- Online Master of Science in Educational Administration – Dual Certification in Principal and Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction
The following certification programs are available to educators who already hold a master’s degree in education and want to take their careers to the next level.
- Online PreK-12 Principal Certification
- Online Superintendent Certification-Letter of Eligibility
- Online PreK-12 School Counseling Certification
- Online Supervisory Curriculum & Instruction Certification
- Online Special Education Certification (PreK-12)
- Online Special Education Supervisor Certification
Prepare for leadership at all levels of education with Gwynedd Mercy University’s innovative programs created and overseen by award-winning Program Director Raymond Bandlow, PhD.
- Online Accelerated Executive EdD in Education Leadership or in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
With choice of three concentrations for Education Leadership
- Online ABD (All But Dissertation) Doctoral Degree Completion Program
The support you need to finish your dissertion and earn your degree