Nursing & Health Professions School at GMercyU
Leader in Nursing & Health Professions Education in the Philadelphia Region
For more than 60 years, The Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions at Gwynedd Mercy University has been a leader and innovator in nursing and health care education, known for helping students advance their careers, improve health care delivery, and achieve better patient outcomes.
Today’s growing need for highly skilled, knowledgeable health care professionals makes this an ideal time to take advantage of GMercyU’s experienced faculty, first-rate curriculum, and excellent clinical experiences.
Did You Know? Construction begins soon on the new, 65,000-square foot Frances M. Maguire Healthcare Innovation Campus.
In addition to the University’s accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral programs as well as the post-graduate APRN certificate program in Gwynedd Mercy University's Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) (www.ccneaccreditation.org).*
Nursing and Health Profession Programs Designed to Meet Today’s Growing Needs
Our accredited nursing and health profession programs are offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level and provide the innovative instruction you’ll need to build your knowledge, values, skills, and credentials at a top nursing school and top healthcare school.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Earn a BSN degree from one of the best nursing schools in Pa., with all the benefits of a traditional college experience and the clinical experience to succeed. Offered on our main campus.
Three-Year Nursing Program for Transfer Students
If you’re a transfer student with 32 to 45 transferable credits who meets eligibility requirements, you can earn a BSN in just three years on our main campus.
Hold a bachelor’s degree in another field and want to become a nurse? Complete your BSN degree in just three years by enrolling part-time in weekend courses on our main campus and completing online summer courses for two summers and a series of nursing prerequisites.
Accelerated BSN (ASBN)
Hold a bachelor’s degree in another field and want to change careers? Complete this accelerated BSN program in 16 months by enrolling full time at our Bensalem, Pa. campus. Certain prerequisites are required.
See below for our Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program Learning Outcomes.
Health Professions Majors and Degrees (Undergraduate)
GMercyU’s health profession degrees and health certificates prepare you to work in clinical health care professions outside the core fields of dentistry, medicine, and nursing. Each of the programs listed below is offered on our main campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pa. where you can enjoy a full college experience, complete with residence halls, campus clubs, and organizations, and 19 NCAA Division III athletic programs, among many other campus programs and opportunities.
BHS Degree in Occupational Science
This pre-OT degree program will prepare you to pursue your Master of Science in Occupational Therapy and become an cccupational therapist.
BS Degree in Medical Laboratory Science
This is a great career path for those who love science and want to make a difference in the field of healthcare, but prefer to work in labs without direct patient interaction.
AS Degree in Respiratory Care
This three-year degree offers a quick path to professional competency as a respiratory therapist.
BHS Degree in Respiratory Care
With this four-year bachelor of health science degree, you will prepare to become a leader in respiratory care.
BS Degree in Radiation Therapy
This four-year program will prepare you to work directly with patients, radiation oncologists, and radiation physicists to treat cancer.
BHS Degree in Radiation Therapy
This 20-month program is for radiographers who have graduated from a Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) program and are registered or registry-eligible radiographers.
BS Degree in Radiologic Technology
Launch your career as radiologic technologist (also called "x-ray technologists") to help physicians diagnose patient diseases and conditions.
Programs offered by the Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions require a criminal background check, child abuse clearance, specific immunizations, and other health-related clearances to participate in experiential learning required as part of your undergraduate curriculum. In addition, some careers require a criminal background check and/or certain immunizations as a condition of employment.
See the undergraduate catalog for more information and course descriptions.
Graduate Nursing and Health Professions Degrees & Programs
Our Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT) program is offered on our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pa., while our nursing and speech language pathology graduate degrees are offered in a convenient and flexible online and hybrid formats.
Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT)
This on-campus, accredited program prepares students to be educated as a generalist with broad exposure to the delivery models and systems used in settings where occupational therapy is currently practiced and where it is emerging as a service.
Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology
Earn your MS is Speech-Language Pathology in our two-year, hybrid program dedicated to the care and advancement of human communication and swallowing.
Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing
Changing careers? Complete our Direct Entry MSN in just 24 months to enter the field with the advantage of a master's degree. You'll show employers you're not just determined to become a nurse, but determined to lead as a nurse.
Online Master of Science in Nursing - Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Building on your professional nursing experience, you will develop the advanced clinical skills needed to provide primary care or specialized care to adult patients, from the teen years to the older adult.
Online Master of Science in Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner
This track helps you develop advanced clinical skills to work in the realm of primary care, providing healthcare across the lifespan.
Online Master of Science in Nursing - Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Pracitioner
Become a PNP, an advanced practice registered nurse who can provide primary care to children, from birth through adolescence to age 21.
Online Post-Graduate APRN Certificates
If you hold a master’s degree in nursing (MSN), this 25-credit certificate program offered online will equip you for the responsibilities of primary care.
Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
This program prepares nurses at the highest level of professional nursing practice, focusing on leadership and health care, evidenced-based practice decisions, and advanced specialty practice nursing.
A Transformational Expansion
Construction of a new 65,000-square foot Frances M. Maguire Healthcare Innovation Center will begin soon, and become the centerpiece of the Frances M. Maguire Healthcare Innovation Campus.
This new development is made possible by a $10 million gift from the Maguire Foundation.
The Mission of the Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions of Gwynedd Mercy University is to present educational programs that will prepare health professionals at the Baccalaureate, Master and Doctoral Degree levels. As a school founded and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, it carries responsibility for the education of health professionals within a learning community rooted in Gospel values. This education is grounded in the liberal arts, as it seeks to prepare citizens of the world as well as health professionals. Individuals educated through the Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions are prepared to offer direct and/or indirect patient care to diverse groups of people in varying states of health in a variety of settings. These graduates are prepared to effect positive changes in the health status of those for whom they care with respect for the physical, emotional, socioeconomic, cultural and spiritual dimensions of each individual.
As a leading school of nursing in Pa., GMercyU offers fully equipped laboratories and other equipment that are paired with patient simulators to help you build your nursing or health profession skills and confidence.
Low and high fidelity patient simulators let you practice techniques before performing them on real patients in clinical settings. GMercyU’s SIM family includes:
- SimNewB®, an interactive simulator, designed by Laerdal with the American Academy of Pediatrics to meet the training requirements of neonatal emergency medicine and resuscitation courses. With realistic newborn traits and lifelike clinical feedback, SimNewB is ideal for training for the specific needs of neonates. Utilizing SimNewB for multidisciplinary simulation-based training allows Gwynedd Mercy University students to improve communication, refine critical thinking skills, and ultimately help improve neonatal patient outcomes.
- SimBaby™ is the advanced infant patient simulator for team training. With realistic anatomy and clinical functionality, SimBaby allows learners to practice and perfect their skills in a risk-free environment.
- SimJunior® is an interactive pediatric simulator, designed by Laerdal with the American Academy of Pediatrics to meet the education and training needs of health care providers.
- SimMan® is a realistic, full-body adult, wireless patient simulator that offers comprehensive clinical functionality to teach the core skills of airway, breathing, cardiac and circulation management.
- Nursing Anne, designed by Laerdal, features interchangeable parts and accessories to create a variety of simulated patients with a variety of skin tones.
Advanced Video System
The AVS gives you real-time feedback on your care techniques.
- The AVS captures the dynamics of your simulation experience by providing a debrief file including audio and video streams that are embedded with the synchronized data log and patient monitor
- Allows you to accurately replay scenarios and understand what actually occurred, as opposed to what you think occurred
The Virtual Environment of a Radiotherapy Treatment room is a state-of-the-art teaching tool for GMercyU's Radiation Therapy Program.
- Offers a safe, simulated radiotherapy treatment room for learning
- Displays 3D views and life-size visualizations
- Allows students to look “inside” the patient and to practice, explore, and investigate treatments before entering a real-world clinical experience
For GMercyU's Medical Laboratory Science, Occupational Therapy, Radiation Therapy, Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care, and Biology programs, this life-size dissection table provides an interactive life-size look at the human body.
- The most advanced combination of hardware and software for virtual dissection, it features ultra-high quality (UHQ) visualization for students to view photorealistic anatomical structures.
- It features both male and female life-size gross anatomy. Its digital library also offers more than 1,300 clinical cases and veterinary cases — full-body cat, dog, and mouse cadavers and 150+ other species and breeds.
- The table offers a high quality lab experience without the use of cadavers or chemicals.
- The Anatomage Table is FDA-cleared for use in assisting medical diagnosis. It can be utilized as a powerful radiology workstation and as a valuable tool for surgical case review, patient consultation, and medical research
- 8 to 1 student-to-faculty ratio on clinical experiences
- More than 100 regional health care affiliations with well-known facilities, such as:
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
- Doylestown Hospital
- Abington-Jefferson Health Hospital
- Gwynedd Mercy University Adult Health Center
- Synthesizes knowledge of nursing and the liberal arts and sciences as a basis for professional nursing practice.
- Utilize professional judgment to formulate nursing decisions which reflect professional standards consistent with moral and ethical and legal principles.
- Engages in reflective evaluation of self and other members of the healthcare team in accordance with the prevailing standards of care.
- Collaborates with other health care providers and consumers in promoting the health and wellbeing of individuals, families, and communities.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability in the use of the nursing process to deliver person centered care.
- Utilize inter and intra professional communication and collaboration skills to deliver evidence-based care to promote the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities.
- Applies leadership concepts, skills, and values to effectively implement patient safety and quality improvement initiatives in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Creates a supportive environment through the therapeutic use of self when caring for individuals, families, and communities.
- Demonstrates skills in using patient care technology, information systems, and communication devices that support safe nursing practice.
- Integrates knowledge of social and cultural factors to deliver culturally sensitive care.
- Advocates for social justice including a commitment to the health of vulnerable populations and the eliminations of health disparities to improve the human condition.
- Articulates the value of pursuing practice excellence and lifelong learning to facilitate personal and professional development.
Upon completion of the MSN Program, the graduate:
- Contributes to advanced nursing knowledge through scientific inquiry for a foundation for evidence-based practice in advanced nursing roles. (UL 1 and 4; MSN Essentials I and III)
- Demonstrates expertise in providing population based holistic care in advanced nursing roles in accordance with the standards of practice and codes of ethics. (UL 2,3 and 4; MSN Essentials V, VII, and VIII)
- Demonstrates professional and social responsibility for self, individuals, family and community grounded in the Mercy tradition and within the context of a multicultural society. (UL 1, 3 and 5; MSN Essential VII, VIII and IX)
- Improves health care by demonstrating interdisciplinary collaboration. (UL 2 and 4; MSN Essential IV and VI)
- Applies leadership skills in the provision of culturally responsive, high quality nursing care in advanced practice roles. (UL 2, 3 and 5; MSN Essentials II and IX)
Upon completion of the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program the DNP graduate will be able to:
- Practice as an advance practice nurse at the doctoral level within the context of the Mercy tradition of social justice. (UL 3: DNP Essential V and VIII)
- Advance the practice of nursing as a clinical scholar through dissemination of evidence-based protocols and research to improve population health. (UL 1 and 2; DNP Essential I and III)
- Demonstrates organizational leadership through interprofessional collaboration for quality improvement and systems thinking. (UL 4; DNP Essential I and VI)
- Evaluate critical nursing care delivery models using concepts related to social determinants of health. (UL 3 and 5; DNP Essential VII)
*To register a complaint, please contact the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) at https://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE-Accreditation/What-We-Do. Click on "Third-Party Comments for Current Accreditation Reviews."