Nursing College in Philadelphia, PA - Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing
Philadelphia's Leading College in Nursing Education
For more than 50 years, The Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions at Gwynedd Mercy University has been a leader and innovator in nursing and healthcare education, helping students advance their careers, improve health care delivery, and achieve better patient outcomes.
Today’s growing need for highly skilled, knowledgeable nurses and other health care professionals makes this an ideal time to take advantage of GMercyU’s experienced faculty, first-rate curriculum, and excellent clinical experiences.
Nursing and Allied Health Programs Designed to Meet Today’s Growing Needs
Our accredited nursing and allied health programs are offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level and provide the innovative instruction you’ll need to build your knowledge, skills and credentials at a top nursing college in Philadelphia. Depending on the program you choose, you can earn your degree on our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pa. or on a satellite campus in Center City Philadelphia or Bensalem, PA. Some programs also are offered in an accelerated and/or online format.
Undergraduate Nursing Degrees:
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) - As one of the top nursing colleges in Philadelphia, our BSN program is offered on our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pa. As a BSN student, you will not only earn a valuable nursing degree, but have access to all the other benefits of a traditional college experience, including a rich campus life, 19 NCAA Division III athletic programs, and the clinical experience you need to succeed.
Options for Transfer Students
Three-Year Program for Transfer Students - If you’re a transfer student with 24 to 35 transferable credits who meets eligibility requirements, you can earn a BSN in just three years on our Main Campus.
Weekend BSN - If you who hold a bachelor’s degree in another field and want to become a nurse, you can complete your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree in just three years by enrolling part-time in weekend courses offered on our Main Campus and completing online summer courses for two summers. You also will need to complete a series of nursing prerequisites that can be completed online at GMercyU or at another accredited college or university of your choice.
Accelerated BSN (ABSN) - If you hold a bachelor’s degree in another field and want to change careers by earning your BSN, you can complete this accelerated program in just 15 months by enrolling full time on our Philadelphia or Bensalem, PA campus. Certain prerequisite courses are required.
RN to BSN - Our RN to BSN program can be completed online and focuses on leadership, research, and serving special populations. This program is offered through GMercyU’s School of Graduate and Professional Studies.
Undergraduate Allied Health Degrees
GMercyU’s allied health degrees and allied health certificates prepare you to work in clinical health care professions outside the core fields of dentistry, medicine and nursing. Each of the programs listed below are offered on our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pa. where you can enjoy a full college experience, complete with residence halls, campus clubs and organizations, and 19 NCAA Division III athletic programs, among many other campus programs and opportunities.
Bachelor of Health Science in Occupational Science - This pre-OT degree program will prepare you to pursue your Master of Science in Occupational Therapy and become an Occupational Therapist.
Associate Degree in Respiratory Care - This degree will prepare you to work with respiratory care patients of all ages.
Bachelor of Health Science in Respiratory Care - This degree will prepare you to diagnose and competently treat patients with cardiopulmonary disorders.
Bachelor of Science in Radiation Therapy - This four-year program will prepare you to work directly with patients, radiation oncologists and radiation physicists to treat cancer.
Bachelor of Health Science in Radiation Therapy - This 20-month program is for radiographers who have graduated from a Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) program and are registered or registry-eligible radiographers.
Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science - This program offers exciting opportunities to turn your love of science into a chance to make a difference in people’s lives through scientific problem-solving in a clinical lab.
Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Technology Program - This program prepares you for entry-level positions an an X-Ray technologist.
Some programs offered by the Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions may require a criminal background check, child abuse clearance, specific immunizations, and other health-related clearances to participate in experiential learning required as part of your undergraduate curriculum. In addition, some careers require a criminal background check and/or certain immunizations as a condition of employment. See the undergraduate catalog for more information.
Online Graduate Nursing Program
Doctor of Nursing Practice - Designed to extend your skills as a nurse practitioner, certified registered nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse specialist, or certified nurse midwife, this program will prepare you for advanced practice nursing at the doctoral level.
Hybrid (Online and On-Ground) Graduate Nursing Programs
Master of Science in Nursing-Clinical Nurse Specialist (Adult-Gerontology) - Building on your professional nursing experience, this program helps you develop the skills needed to provide advanced treatment to patients, lead other nurses, and train the next generation of nurses.
Master of Science in Nursing-Nurse Educator - This 37-credit MSN-NE program will help you meet the demand for qualified nursing faculty in clinical college programs.
Master of Science in Nursing-Nurse Practitioner - This program teaches you the advanced clinical skills you need to diagnose patients, provide treatments, and prescribe medications as a primary care provider.
Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate - If you hold a master’s degree in nursing (MSN), this 25-credit certificate program offered on our Main Campus will equip you for the responsibilities of primary care.
Graduate Health Professions Programs
Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT): This 77-credit program will launch in May 2018 and will prepare you to meet the essential functions of occupational therapy practice.
Fully equipped laboratories and other equipment are paired with patient simulators to help you build your nursing or allied health skills and confidence.
- SIM Family – Simulation mannequins let you practice techniques before performing them on real patients in clinical settings. GMercyU’s SIM family includes:
- SimNewB®, an interactive simulator, designed by Laerdal with the American Academy of Pediatrics to meet the training requirements of neonatal emergency medicine and resuscitation courses. With realistic newborn traits and lifelike clinical feedback, SimNewB is ideal for training for the specific needs of neonates. Utilizing SimNewB for multidisciplinary simulation-based training allows Gwynedd Mercy University students to improve communication, refine critical thinking skills, and ultimately help improve neonatal patient outcomes.
- SimBaby™ is the advanced infant patient simulator for team training. With realistic anatomy and clinical functionality, SimBaby allows learners to practice and perfect their skills in a risk-free environment.
- SimJunior® is an interactive pediatric simulator, designed by Laerdal with the American Academy of Pediatrics to meet the education and training needs of healthcare providers.
- SimMan® is a realistic, full-body adult, wireless patient simulator that offers comprehensive clinical functionality to teach the core skills of airway, breathing, cardiac and circulation management.
- Advanced Video System – Gives you real-time feedback on your care techniques
- The AVS captures the dynamics of your simulation experience by providing a debrief file including audio and video streams that are embedded with the synchronized data log and patient monitor, allowing you to accurately replay scenarios and understand what actually occurred, as opposed to what you think occurred.
First-Rate Clinical Experiences
- 8 to 1 student-to-faculty ratio on clinical experiences
- More than 200 regional health care affiliations with well-known facilities, such as:
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
- Doylestown Hospital
- Abington Memorial Hospital
- Gwynedd Mercy University Adult Health Center