Prepare to make a difference in the lives of young children
As a preschool or early teacher you will forever shape the lives of today’s children. By earning your PreK-4 Early Education degree, you will help support young students as they learn and grow. Our PreK-4 Early Education degree includes a path to teacher certification. Upon completion of this program and the passing of the required Pennsylvania Department of Education test, you will be eligible to apply for Early Education certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and then teach in a public, private or charter school.
Be prepared to meet the needs of all students in your classroom
Today’s classrooms include students with many different learning styles and educational requirements. That’s why it’s so important for today’s teachers to be prepared to effectively support all their students, including those with special education needs. Completing a dual major in Early Education and Special Education will significantly enhance the value of your degree.
Upon completion of this program and the passing of the required Pennsylvania Department of Education tests, you will be eligible to apply for Early Education (PreK-4) certification and Special Education (PreK-8) certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and then teach in a public, private or charter school.
At GMercyU, we have a long history of helping students become the teachers they’re meant to be. Our state-of-the-art classrooms and caring faculty will help you gain the experience you need to make a real difference in the lives of young students.
Why else is our program one of the best teacher education programs in Pennsylvania? Our program includes:
- Hobbit House, a licensed Private Academic Lab School right on campus
- Gain hands-on experience and develop core teaching competencies without ever leaving campus
- Teacher Apprentice Program (TAP) that lets you participate in classroom observations beginning in your first semester
- Teachscape ® Technology that provides:
- Real-time feedback on your classroom teaching through panoramic video capture managed by our dedicated Teachscape coordinator
- Improved instructional practice and leadership through online resources and tutorials
- A video that showcases your instructional, administrative and counseling skills, which you can use during interviews
- A personal advisor who will guide you through all four years
- Dedicated Field Placement Director
- Dr. John Batchelor will help ensure you have a successful student teaching experience.
- Certification Coordinator for Education
- Once you're on the teacher certification track, Dr. William Warner will ensure you meet all requirements to become a certified teacher in Pennsylvania.
Meet the Dean of the School of Business and Education
Dr. Heather Pfleger, EdD
Heather Pfleger is Professor and Dean of the School of Business and Education at Gwynedd Mercy University, a position she has held since the fall of 2011. Prior to her career in higher education, Dr. Pfleger worked in the banking industry as an economist.
Increase the value of your degree by adding an undergraduate minor. GMercyU offers a wide variety of minors so you can choose the one that best meets your personal and professional goals.