Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program (ABSN)
Professional Preparation for a Career that Cares
For more than 50 years, the Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing at Gwynedd Mercy University has been a hub for the nursing profession. Our programs help students become skilled practitioners who go on to provide superior patient care and serve as leaders in the field. Now, we offer an innovative program at both our Philadelphia and Bensalem locations which can prepare you to make the change to a career with real meaning and purpose—a career as a registered nurse.
Our Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program, designed for students who have a bachelor’s degree in another field, offers the hands-on clinical training and comprehensive health sciences knowledge you need to enter the nursing workforce.
The GMercyU Difference
Our Accelerated Nursing Program features:
- Accelerated completion – graduate in just four consecutive semesters (15 months). You must already have a bachelor's degree in another field to enroll in this program.
- Enhanced employability – More and more employers prefer nurses with a four-year degree
- A future of opportunity – A BSN degree prepares you for leadership roles and graduate nursing education later in your career, including our Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) programs.
As a GMercyU nursing student, you’ll enter an active nursing community led by our experienced professors and health care leaders from across the region. You’ll also have the opportunity to study at our convenient downtown Philadelphia or Bensalem location, which both feature state-of-the-art simulation equipment and training facilities.
GMercyU’s accelerated nursing program (ABSN) prepares you to become a confident, capable nursing practitioner with the skills valued by patients and employers. You’ll develop the comprehensive health science knowledge and practical clinical skills employers demand. In addition, you’ll establish a foundation for your future in the profession, with course content that covers leadership strategies and research capabilities.
As a graduate of our ABSN program, you will be able to:
- Synthesize knowledge from the humanities, natural and behavioral/social sciences with current nursing knowledge as a basis for nursing practice
- Formulate nursing decisions which reflect consistency with moral, ethical and legal principles
- Use current professional standards to evaluate nursing practice of self and other members of the nursing team
- Collaborate with other health care providers and consumers in promoting the health and well-being of individuals, families and communities
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability for direct and/or indirect nursing interventions and their outcomes
- Refer individuals, families and groups to appropriate community resources
- Use evidence-based nursing practice to improve the health of individuals, families and communities
- Communicate effectively with diverse groups and disciplines
- Function as a leader within nursing and interdisciplinary health teams in a variety of settings
- Use the role of advocate to facilitate access to health care
- Create a healing environment through the therapeutic use of self when caring for individuals, families, and communities
- Analyze the nursing care environment through the use of technological knowledge and skills
More BSN Degree Options to Fit Your Life
If you cannot commit to a full-time accelerated nursing program, we also offer a Weekend BSN program and a four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program on our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pa. The Weekend BSN program, which can be completed in just three years, is available to students with a bachelor's degree in another field who want to transition to a career in nursing. The four-year undergraduate BSN program is for aspiring nurses who do not already have a bachelor's degree in another field.
A Nursing Educational Community 50 Years in the Making
Gwynedd Mercy University has been a leading nursing school for more than 50 years. The community of nursing experts, scholars, and regional health care leaders we have developed—not to mention our thousands of nursing alumni—is an invaluable resource for your professional development and personal enrichment.
Our nursing faculty members bring clinical expertise and a passion for the nursing profession to the classroom. In our small classes, they will become your partners and mentors as you prepare to discover the Next.
The ABSN at GMercyU is a full-time, 15-month, 68-credit degree program developed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in another field.
If you graduated from your first bachelor’s program more than five years ago, your Nutrition course was not taught by a Registered Dietician, or if your major did not include laboratory science courses, you will need to complete and pass prerequisite courses before you can begin your ABSN degree. We offer online health sciences prerequisites that can help you fill any gaps in your knowledge.
|NUR 208||Introduction to Professional Nursing|
|NUR 209||Fundamentals of Nursing Practice (with clinical practice)|
|NUR 212||Health Assessment in Nursing (with clinical practice)|
|NUR 213||Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing|
|NUR 307||Nursing Care of Adults (with clinical practice)|
|NUR 313||Contemporary Issues in Professional Nursing|
|NUR 316||Nursing Care of Clients with Alternations in Behavioral Health (with clinical practice)|
|NUR 317||Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families (with clinical experience)|
|NUR 319||Nursing Care of Adults with Complex Health Care Problems (with clinical practice)|
|NUR 413||The Older Adult|
|NUR 417||Genomics in Nursing|
|NUR 419||Synthesis of Learning for Nursing Practice (with clinical practice)|
|NUR 422||Health and Illness in the Community (with clinical practice)|
|NUR 423||Global Health and Health Policy|
|NUR 431||Nursing Research|
|RS 231||Morality and Contemporary Health Care|
|NUR 4001||Leadership and Management in Professional Nursing – Capstone|
You will also complete clinical rotations in local health care facilities. GMercyU has a wide network of health care affiliations, and your instructors will be able to help you obtain a clinical placement. Clinical placements are subject to hospital availability, and may require night or weekend hours.
To review course descriptions, please refer to the undergraduate catalog (PDF).
Begin Your Nursing Journey with GMercyU
In addition to the University’s accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral programs as well as the post-graduate APRN certificate program in Gwynedd Mercy University's Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (www.ccneaccreditation.org).