Career Action Plan
Explore, Experience, Excel
This three-step process and checklist is designed to help you identify your career goals, develop your job search skills, and put yourself on a path to success.
Your Three-Step Career Plan
Step One - Explore
- Meet with a career counselor to begin the career exploration process.
- Take a career assessment to brainstorm major and career paths.
- Investigate majors and careers through What Can I Do With This Major, O*Net and the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Visit GMercyU's Career Development website to learn about our resources and services.
Step Two - Experience
- Meet with a career counselor and academic advisor to narrow your major and career path plan.
- Gain experience through work-learn opportunities such as internships, volunteering, student clubs, study abroad and the Griffin Student Leadership Institute.
- Investigate graduate school or additional training.
- Attend GMercyU internship/job fairs and networking events and other local events.
- Develop and enhance your internship/job search documents: resume, cover letter, reference sheet, LinkedIn profile, portfolio and social media tools.
- Update and use Handshake, GMercyU's internship/job website.
- Conduct informational interviews and develop networking contacts with professionals in careers you want to learn more about.
Step Three - Excel
- Create a job search plan by targeting specific career industries/employers and networking opportunities.
- Schedule a mock interview with Career Development and develop your 30-second commercial.
- Update job search documents: resume, cover letter, reference sheet, LinkedIn profile, portfolio and social media tools.
- Continue to network and conduct Informational Interviews.
- Finalize any graduate school plans.
- Attend job fairs and networking events and other local events.
- Utilize Handshake in your job search.