Student Accessibility Services

We believe all students accepted into an academic program should have an equal chance for success. That’s why Gwynedd Mercy University’s Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office coordinates with faculty, staff and administration to meet the needs of students with a qualified disability.

To learn more about the services available to you, choose from the links below.

Applying for Student Accessibility Services
Housing Accommodations Requests
Contact Us
Additional Resources

Additional information is available in the Student Accessibility Services Manual and Grievance Policy (PDF).

Applying for Student Accessibility Services

You can make a request for accommodations pertaining to learning, psychological, and/or physical disabilities at the time of your acceptance to Gwynedd Mercy University or any time thereafter. The request must be made by you, the student, in person, by email, or via submission of the Student Accessibility Services Accommodation Application (PDF). Please note that phone calls or disclosures to other University staff or faculty are not recognized as requests for accommodations.

The SAS office is closed between June 1 and July 31. Any accommodation requests received within that time should be done via email, and may take more time to process than usual.

If you self-identify as having a disability and request accommodations, you are responsible for submitting appropriate documentation and following the procedures listed below. Please allow sufficient time for administrative processing of the application. Accommodation requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis, and the accommodations are based on each student's individual and unique needs.

Application Procedures:

  1. Documentation: Please provide the following to the SAS Coordinator:
  2. Meet and Plan: You will have two meetings with the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator to:
    • Review your application, supporting documentation and accommodation requests
    • Review the University’s Disability Policy, including the Grievance Police and student responsibilities
    • Review Letters of Accommodation
    • Receive information regarding campus resources
  3. Follow Up: You will meet with the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator every subsequent enrolled semester to:
    • Provide course schedule
    • Review accommodation needs and progress

Housing Accommodation Requests

All requests for housing accommodations are due to the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator by May 1 of each year.

This procedure is NOT a housing application, but a request for accessibility-related housing accommodations only. You must also comply with Residence Life housing applications, guidelines, forms, and deadlines to apply for campus housing.

If you are seeking housing accommodations, please make your request via the Student Accessibility Services Accommodation Application (PDF). Determinations are based on the documentation and information received. An application that is incomplete or received after the deadline may result in a housing assignment that does not meet your needs.

Factors given consideration for special housing requests:

  1. Is the impact of the condition life-threatening if the request is not met?
  2. Is the request an integral component of a treatment plan prescribed by a medical professional for the condition in question?
  3. Is space available to meet the student’s need?
  4. Can space be adapted without creating a safety hazard?
  5. Are there other effective means that would achieve similar benefits as the requested accommodation?
  6. How does meeting the documented need impact housing commitments for other students?
  7. Is the cost of meeting the need prohibitive?
  8. Was the request made by the deadline?

Please note: Private room accommodations are rare. We make every attempt to find reasonable accommodations for those conditions that are covered under the ADA.

Once a determination is made regarding a housing accommodation, written notification will be sent to you. You should review the notification and sign it and return it to the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator. If you are approved for housing accommodations, you must meet with the Student Accessibility Coordinator annually to renew your request.

Contact Us

The Student Accessibility Office is located within Counseling Services in The Griffin Complex, 2nd floor window hallway of Rotelle Lounge.
Hours: Monday-Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The office is closed during June and July and all University-recognized holidays.

Student Accessibility Services Coordinator: Dan Jordan, MC, LPC, NCC, CCDPD
phone: 215-646-7300 ext. 427                 
fax: 215-641-5578

Gwynedd Mercy University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, national origin, religion, sex or disability in the administration of its educational, admission, scholarship or loan policies.

Additional Resources

To learn more about learning disabilities and higher education, consult the following resources:

An open letter (PDF) to parents of students with disabilities about to enter college 

AHEAD, the national organization for students with learning disabilities

LD online and LD resources are two websites with information for students with learning disabilities

Readings for the blind and dyslexic

The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation  

The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights has information about the rights and responsibilities for students with disabilities

ADD resources for students

The University of Montana, Missoula created a handbook (PDF) to help students transition from high school to college.