Doctorate in Education
The Schools of Education and Graduate and Professional Studies at Gwynedd Mercy University proudly announce the new Executive Doctorate in Educational Leadership, an accelerated program offering a foundation in ethical leadership, competition and global trends.
Gwynedd Mercy University now offers a Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership in an accelerated format combining online coursework and three on-ground residencies. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education has recently approved this new program for accreditation and students are finding success within its four concentrations. After completing all requirements for the online doctorate in educational leadership and three rounds of residencies, graduates earn a Doctorate in Education with a concentration in:
- Higher Education, or
- PK-12 Schools and School Districts, or
- Special Education.
Purpose of the Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership
Educational leadership doctoral programs are the next step towards an advanced leadership role in an educational setting for students who have already completed a master’s degree in education or a related field. Gwynedd Mercy University’s Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership is designed to help students develop the disposition, knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in leadership roles at schools in the U.S. or abroad. This may apply to public and private grade schools, school districts, colleges, universities and nonprofit educational organizations. The program lasts approximately two years and eight months and requires a series of online courses as well as three on-ground residencies.
Benefits of the Online and Accelerated Format
For many busy adults, online doctoral programs in educational leadership are the ideal solution to the challenges of attending post-graduate school while working and fulfilling other obligations. The convenience and flexibility of online educational leadership programs, combined with the efficiency of an accelerated format, enables educators to take their careers to the next level and succeed in leadership positions. Gwynedd Mercy University’s online and accelerated Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership offers students the following benefits:
- Advising for dissertations begins immediately to ensure a high graduation rate
- Students are able to complete a doctorate in only two years and eight months
- “Cohort enrollment” helps build a sense of community among students
- Tuition includes books, e-books and most travel costs (including international residencies)
- Students are able to complete 54 credits of coursework online (excluding residencies)
Overview of the Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership
During the two years and eight months spent in GMercyU’s Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership, students will complete 54 credits of coursework completely online. This includes the following coursework:
- 9 foundational courses, totaling 27 credit hours (common to all concentrations)
- 5 elective courses from your concentration, totaling 15 credit hours
- 4 dissertation advisement courses, totaling 12 credit hours (includes benchmarking)
In addition to the 54-credit online program, students must also complete three on-ground residencies before they are eligible for graduation. This includes one international residency.