English & Math Placement Assessments
To ensure that you are prepared to succeed in college-level courses, we require that you take the English and mathematics placement assessments before registering for your first semester at GMercyU.
You are exempt from taking the respective placement exam if you meet one of the following exemptions:
- A score of at least three (3) on the Princeton Advanced Placement Test in English (Language and Composition) and/or mathematics (Calculus or Statistics)
- Transfer credits for college-level English composition or college-level mathematics courses (earned grade of C or better) through the official acceptance of transfer credits by the Registrar’s Office at Gwynedd Mercy University
- If you took the SAT after March 2016: A raw score of at least 35 in the reading test and a 680 in the mathematics test
- *If you took the SAT prior to March 2016: A score of at least 650 in the critical reading and/or mathematics sections of the SAT test exempts you from the respective test.
- A score of 29 or higher on the English or mathematics ACT test
The English and math placement assessments are untimed, and retests are not permitted. Students with documented disabilities who need accommodations, other than extended-time, should make their needs known to the Academic Resource Center staff at least a week in advance of the placement test. Ear plugs are available upon request.
Schedule Your Assessment Tests
It is your responsibility to register for your placement assessment. To schedule your test, fill out this registration form, or contact Testing Coordinator Joe Azzarano at Azzarano.J1@gmercyu.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call the Academic Resource Center at 215-646-7300 x21828 to set up an appointment.
- Sign up early! Space is limited. There are only 17 available appointments at a time. Additionally, placement assessments are required to be completed prior to registration. Register early for the best possible class schedule.
- Please be sure to cancel your placement assessment appointment if you cannot attend your scheduled appointment so that we can open the space up for someone else.
- Placement Assessments are held in the Academic Resource Center, located on the 2nd floor of the Keiss Library and Learning Commons. See our Campus Map.
What you need to bring
- Bring photo identification with you. Acceptable identification includes your driver's license, school ID card, or passport.
- Calculators may be used for the math assessment. Bring a calculator (no phones) and a pencil. Scrap paper is provided.
- The computerized placement assessments include objective questions in mathematics and reading skills, as well as a written essay.
- Tests are untimed; retests are not permitted.
- Please report to the Academic Resource Center located on the 2nd floor of the Library building 5 to 10 minutes prior to your scheduled assessment time.