Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Counseling Services

You are here

Welcome to Gwynedd Mercy University's Couseling Services.

Counseling Services is committed to supporting students with accomplishing their educational goals by assisting with identifying strenghts, supports and resources which will aid in resolving problem areas.  A counselor  can help students to explore and express feelings; to examine beliefs and ways of thinking about the world; to reflect on patterns of behavior; and, to work towards healthy changes.  Counseling Services  offers a safe environment for students to discuss concerns and work towards furthering their academic and personal growth.  Off campus resources may be utilized instead of, or inaddition to, services provided on campus.  Counseling Services supports the development of the whole person and serves the Gwynedd Mercy University community by providing programs and workshops regarding mental health, wellness, and overall student success. 

Please check out the Additional Resource page which offers a link to Dan Jordan's webcast on How to Manage Test Anxiety

At Counseling Services, we:

  • Provide supportive counseling for students with adjustment matters, personal concerns, and emotional stress
  • Refer students to outside supports when necessary or requested
  • Provide information concerning community resources relating to emotional wellness and mental health issues
  • Provide a variety of psycho-educational programs for students, faculty and staff
  • Offer consultation to faculty, administration, and staff regarding students' concerns

To schedule an appointment:

or Contact:

Jeanne McGowan, M.S.W., L.C.S.W.

Discover more information about Counseling Services below...


Referring to Counseling

Counseling Staff


Psychological Emergencies

Community Treatment Centers

Additional Resources

Alcohol and Other Drug Services

Disability Support Services

Peer Mentoring Association



Q. Who can use the services at Counseling Services?
A. Any student enrolled at Gwynedd-Mercy College can be eligible to receive counseling services through Counseling Services.

Q. How much does it cost to see a counselor?
A. Counseling Services at Gwynedd-Mercy College are provided to students at no cost.

Q. Where is Counseling Services located?
A. Counseling Services is located in The Griffin Complex, on the 2nd floor, along the window hallway of Rotelle Lounge.

Q. What hours are counselors available?

A. Counseling staff are available Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Counseling offices are open August-May of every academic year. The Counseling office follows the University with closings and therefore are not open during holidays or weather related closings.

Q. What kinds of problems do students discuss with a counselor?
A. Any personal issue can be discussed in counseling. Some examples are:

  • Academic adjustment issues, grades
  • Abuse (emotional/physical/sexual)
  • Anger, aggression
  • Anxiety, fear
  • Communication issues, assertiveness
  • Depression
  • Difficulty with alcohol, other substances,
  • Eating related problems
  • Grief
  • Psychological crises
  • Relationships: intimate, family, friends
  • Sexual identity issues
  • Stress
  • Time management
  • Traumatic experiences

Q. How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?
A. An appointment can be made directly with any counseling staff via phone or e-mail. A student may also stop in to Counseling Services (The Griffin Complex, 2nd floor, window hallway of Rotelle Lounge) to schedule an appointment. Requests for appointments are scheduled as soon as possible and with consideration for the student's schedule.

To schedule an appointment,

Jeanne McGowan, M.S.W., L.C.S.W.

Q. How often can I see a counselor?
A. The frequency of appointments and length of time in counseling varies depending on the individual. While there are no established limits to the number of times students can seek counseling, those who require more comprehensive support (i.e. more than a weekly session with a counselor) will be referred to off-campus resources as appropriate.

Q. Are counseling records confidential? Are counseling records part of my academic record?
A. Counseling Services records are confidential and are separate from a student's academic records. Counseling staff follows HIPAA guidelines for record keeping. No information from Counseling's records will be released without a student's full consent by signing a Release of Information. Confidentiality regarding services is maintained not only in the campus community but with family members and outside service providers as well. The only time a counselor will not keep a student's information confidential is when a student presents as a risk to harm themselves or others. In these rare circumstances, counseling information may be shared without the individual's permission but only to the extent necessary to protect the individual or other persons being threatened.

Referring to Counseling Services

Counseling is most effective when it is a voluntary process and students benefit more from counseling if they themselves seek out support. For these reasons, Counseling Services recommends that concerned parties speak to the individual and:

1. Tell the student you are concerned about him/her and why
2. Explain the resources available at Counseling Services, refer to the web page
3. Recommend/encourage the student to contact Counseling Services for an appointment
4. Offer to help the student make contact by walking them over to see a counselor and/or be present for support when the student makes the call for an appointment.                    
5. You may also decide to directly refer the student.  This means that you inform the student you have a concern and have notified Counseling Services who will do an outreach to invite the student in for an appointment.

Counseling Staff

Director of Counseling Services
Jeanne McGowan , MSW LCSW
ext. 571 or 215-641-5571

Counselor/Disability Support Services Coordinator
215-646-7300, ext. 427

Alcohol and Other Drug/R.A.I.S.E. Counselor
Kristen Hawk, M.A.
215-646-7300, ext. 395

Graduate Clinical Intern
Brianna Ziegler, M.S.W. candidate
215-646-7300, ext. 180


The Counseling Services records are confidential and kept separate from academic records. Only in the rare instance where an individual may present a threat to harm themselves or others may counseling information be shared without the individual's permission, and then only to the extent necessary to protect the individual or other persons being threatened.


DURING office hours (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.):
Psychological emergencies (risk of harm to self or others) are seen immediately. Please contact the Counseling Staff at ext. 21571 or ext. 21427 and/or Public Safety at ext. 21111.

AFTER office hours (6 p.m. to 9 a.m.):
If a psychological emergency (risk of harm to self or others) occurs outside of the Counseling Services hours, please contact Security at ext. 21111 immediately. Security will notify Counseling Services staff and/or professional staff in Resident Life if appropriate.

Community Treatment Centers

Abington Hospital
1200 Old York Road
Abington, PA 19001
215-481-2000 (press 1 for medical emergency or ask for crisis)

Belmont Behavioral Health
4200 Monument Road
Philadelphia, PA 19131

Brooke Glen
7170 Lafayette Avenue
Fort Washington, Pa 19034

100 Eagleville Road
Eagleville, Pa 19403

Friends Hospital
4641 Roosevelt Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19124-2399

Horsham Clinic
722 East Butler Pike
Ambler, Pa 19002
215-643-7800 or 1-800-237-4447

Montgomery County Emergency Services
50 Beech Drive
Norristown, PA 19403
610-279-6100 or 1-800-452-4189

475 Spring Lane
Philadelphia, Pa 19128
1.800.RENFREW (736-3739)

Victim Services Center of Montgomery County
18 W. Airy Street
Norristown, PA 19401
24 hr. Crisis Hot line: 610-277-5200
Other serious crime: 610-ASSIST-1 (610-277-4781)

Women's Center of Montgomery County
101 Washington Lane
Extension Manor WCI
Jenkintown, PA 19046