Mission + Identity
The real Gwynedd Mercy University difference is our over 18,000 Distinctive Mercy Graduates, women and men who are leaders, innovators, helpers and advocates who are successful in their careers and making a difference in the world.
While Gwynedd Mercy University prepares students for “the real world”, we also help students take their education a step further as they discover not only vital classroom knowledge, but most importantly their personal potential. Through a commitment to an education rich in liberal learning, Gwynedd Mercy University students are able to round out perspectives and deepen their base of knowledge, critical thinking and communication skills. They are distinguished by professional competence as well as a deeper understanding of social responsibility and their place in the world.
We do more than educate minds, we help students to transform themselves as they uncover the possibilities before and within them.
The Distinctive Mercy Graduate…discover the promise!
The mission and the principles that guide all we do:
College Mission Statement
Gwynedd Mercy University is a Catholic University founded and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy. Our mission is to create a learning community, rooted in Gospel values and rich in the liberal arts. In an atmosphere of inquiry and dialogue, the University seeks to combine education for professional competency with the Mercy tradition of service to society.
The following values lie at the heart of higher education in the Mercy tradition:
- Academic excellence
- Community and collaboration
- Dignity of each person
- Rigorous intellectual inquiry
- Social responsibility
- Spirit of hospitality and valuing diversity
Statement of Beliefs:
At Gwynedd Mercy University, we believe:
- That education is a lifelong process that enriches the intellectual, moral and spiritual life of the individual and prepares one for an active role in society.
- That a solid liberal arts foundation is the best preparation for life and work.
- That the cultivation of compassion, intellectual inquiry, dedication to truth, mercy, and justice is essential in improving the human condition.
- That education is a process of transforming oneself and society.
- That individual attention in a caring environment promotes learning.
Learn more about our mission, identity and heritage on our mission and planning page.