4-Step Career Plan
Plan for Career Success
Gwynedd Mercy University’s HIRE Education Program is a four-step process designed to help you identify your career goals, develop your job search skills, and put yourself on a path to success.
GMercyU’s career counselors will help guide you through the process as you Explore, Experiment, Experience and Excel in your quest to achieve your personal and professional goals.
Your Four-Step Career Plan
Explore: The first step to launching a successful career is to explore your options. In this stage, you will develop a better understanding of your interests and skills as you investigate different majors and career paths.
- Meet with a career counselor to begin the career exploration process
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss career plans
- Enhance your knowledge of career topics through presentations and workshops by Career Development
- Review your interests by taking a career assessment to brainstorm major and career paths
- Investigate majors and career paths using ONet, bureau of labor statistics or Best Colleges
- Get involved with extra-curricular activities at Gwynedd Mercy University
- Begin building a resume and portfolio
Experiment: In this step (recommended during your sophomore year) you will start to experiment with your major and career path options so you can begin to narrow down your career objective.
- Meet with a GMercyU career counselor to continue the discussion of your major/career path plan
- Identify your professional network and reach out for career advice and information
- Conduct Informational Interviews with professionals in careers you want to learn more about
- Continue to develop and enhance your job search documents: resume, cover letter, reference sheet, portfolio and social media tools
- Identify your transferrable skills and make connections between your skills and interests
- Begin planning work-learn opportunities
Experience: Recommended during your junior year, this step includes seeking additional opportunities to gain hands-on experience in the fields that interest you.
- Update your career goals based on earlier career exploration and experience
- Revise your job search documents, LinkedIn and your social media presence
- Join a professional association to take advantage of valuable resources in the field of your choice
- Obtain an internship related to your career objective
- Join the GMercyU Griffin Student Leadership Institute
- Get involved and position yourself in leadership roles both inside and outside the classroom
- Develop your 30 second commercial for networking
- Continue to grow your network by attending employer panels and networking events
- Utilize College Central Network and other online job databases to search for hands-on learning opportunities
The Fourth Step:
Excel: Recommended during your senior year, the fourth step will help you get a jump start on your career by successfully marketing yourself.
- Create a job search plan by targeting specific employers and networking opportunities
- Schedule a mock interview with the Career Development Center—practice makes perfect!
- Research specific employers on Glassdoor in order to gain an edge over your competition
- Finalize your job searching documents: resume, cover letter, reference sheet, portfolio and social media tools (LinkedIn)
- Continue to maintain your network and keep them updated about your post-graduate plans
- Prepare to transition from the academic setting to the professional world work setting
- Attend GMercyU job fairs and networking events and take advantage of other local events