If you’ve already earned college-level credits at other accredited institutions, you can transfer them to Gwynedd Mercy University. All you need to do is submit your transcript and a course description to the Registrar, who will determine whether the course counts towards the credits required for graduation. Read more on our Transfer Credits page.
BS in Middle Level and Special Education
Be prepared for today’s inclusive classroom
Since today’s classrooms include students with many different learning styles and abilities, it’s essential to be prepared to effectively support all of your students, including those with special education needs.
By completing a dual degree in Early Education and Special Education, you can:
- Earn your Pre-K-8 Special Education certification in addition to your Middle Level (Grades 4-8) Math/Science teacher certification
- Significantly enhance the value of your degree
- Prepare to better respond to the educational needs of all students in your classroom
Upon completion of this program and the passing of the required Pennsylvania Department of Education tests, you will be eligible to apply for Middle Level (Grades 4-8) Math/Science certification and Special Education (PreK-8) certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and then teach in a public, private or charter school.
The GMercyU Difference
At GMercyU, we have a long history of helping students become the best teachers they can be. With state-of-the-art classrooms and dedicated faculty, you can develop the skills and experience needed to become an exceptional teacher of students in grades 4 through 8.
Our program includes:
- Teacher Apprentice Program (TAP) that lets you participate in classroom observations beginning in your first semester
- Teachscape ® Technology that provides:
- Real-time feedback on your classroom teaching through panoramic video capture managed by our dedicated Teachscape coordinator
- Improved instructional practice and leadership through online resources and tutorials
- A video that showcases your instructional, administrative and counseling skills, that you can use during interviews
- The Autism Institute, which was founded by GMercyU’s Dr. Deborah Schadler, and focuses on scientifically research-based best practices for teaching students on the Autism spectrum
- A personal advisor who will guide you through all four years
- Dedicated Field Placement Director
- Dr. John Batchelor will help ensure you have a successful student teaching experience.
- Certification Coordinator for Education
- Once on the teacher certification track, Dr. William Warner will ensure you meet all requirements to become a certified teacher in Pennsylvania.
Increase the value of your degree by adding an undergraduate minor. GMercyU offers a wide variety of minors so you can choose the one that best meets your personal and professional goals.
In addition to general education and math or science requirements, you will complete the following education courses:
|EDU 112||Philosophical Foundation of Middle Education|
|EDU 245||Methods & Materials for Middle Grades : Reading Across Curriculum|
|EDU 372||Math Methods for the Middle Level Grades 4-8|
|EDU 373||Methods & Materials for Middle Grades: Science|
|EDU 374||Methods & Materials for Middle Grades – Social Studies|
|EDU 351||Meeting the Needs of English Language Learners|
|SPE 205||Exceptional Person|
|SPE 231||Mid/Moderate Disabilities in the Inclusionary Setting|
|SPE 331||Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment Methods for Mid/Moderate Disabilities|
|EDU 415||Pre-Student Teaching Pre K-8|
|EDU 4000||Capstone Seminar|
|EDU 480||Student Teaching/Classroom Management/Educational|
Additional Special Education Courses
|SPE 232||Students with Complex Needs in the Educational Setting|
|SPE 332||Research-Based Practices in the Assessment and Instruction of Students|
A minimum of 132 credits in required for a bachelor’s degree in middle level education math/science (grades 4-8) with a path to teacher certification.
To review course descriptions, please refer to the undergraduate catalog (PDF).
Our Outstanding Faculty
A bachelor's degree in Middle Level Education will help you achieve your dream of becoming a teacher.
Where our graduates work after graduation
- AIM Academy
- Allentown School District
- Annville-Cleona High School
- Bridge TEFL
- Bright Eyes Academy
- Bucks County Intermediate Unit
- Capital City High School
- Central Montgomery MH/MR Center
- Esperanza Academy Charter HS
- Gwynedd Mercy University
- NECC MH/MR Early Intervention
- Neshaminy School District
- Norristown School District
- North Penn School District
- Our Lady of Mercy
- Pencil Box
- Pennridge School District
- Philadelphia School District
- Radnor School District
- The Goddard School
- The Malvern School
- Wissahickon School District