Make a Difference in the Lives of Students
"Teaching is relational. It makes your job easier when you have a relationship with those you work with. I purposely and intently build relationships with my scholars." --Jason Dabney '10
If you dream of being a teacher who makes a real and lasting difference in the lives of today’s students, an early childhood education degree at Gwynedd Mercy University is a perfect choice. Here in the early childhood education program, you will have access to the finest teachers and resources as you develop your teaching and classroom management skills. This program provides teacher preparation without teacher certification.
You also have the option of earning your teacher certification in the following areas provided you meet state requirements:
The GMercyU Difference
At GMercyU, we have been helping students become the teachers they’re meant to be for more than 60 years. Our state-of-the-art classrooms and caring faculty will help you gain the experience you need to make a real and lasting difference in the lives of today’s students.
Why else is our program one of the best teacher education programs in Pennsylvania? Our early childhood education program includes:
- Hobbit House, a licensed Private Academic Lab School right on campus
- Gain hands-on experience and develop core teaching competencies without ever leaving campus
- Teacher Apprentice Program (TAP) that lets you participate in classroom observations beginning in your first semester
- You'll gain first-hand insight into how the real world of education works before taking your turn at the head of the class
- Spend a total of 8 semesters in actual classrooms, first observing other teachers and then leading the class as a student teacher
- A personal advisor who will guide you through all four years
- Dedicated Field Placement Director
- Dr. John Batchelor will help ensure you have a successful student teaching experience.
- Education and Certification Coordinator
- Once on the teacher certification track, Dr. William Warner will ensure you meet all requirements to become a certified teacher in Pennsylvania.
Meet the Dean of the School of Business and Education
Dr. Heather Pfleger, EdD
Heather Pfleger is Professor and Dean of the School of Business and Education at Gwynedd Mercy University, a position she has held since the fall of 2011. Prior to her career in higher education, Dr. Pfleger worked in the banking industry as an economist.
Increase the value of your degree by adding an undergraduate minor. GMercyU offers a wide variety of minors so you can choose the one that best meets your personal and professional goals.
In addition to general education requirements, you will complete the following courses for a bachelor of science in early childhood education degree in education studies:
Core Courses - 54 Credits
||Education in America
||Health and Motor Development
||Foundations of Teaching & Learning PreK-4
||Reading Sequence I
||Math Methods for PreK-4
||Arts and Humanities
||Technology Integration in Education PreK-8
||Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment
||Meeting the Needs of English Language Learners
||Field Experience I
||Mild/Moderate Disabilities in the Inclusionary Setting
||Field Experience II
A minimum of 120 credits in required for a bachelor of science in early childhood education degree in education studies.
This program requires a criminal background check, child abuse clearance, and certain immunizations and other health-related clearances in order to participate in student teaching experiences. See the undergraduate catalog for more information.
To review course descriptions, please refer to the undergraduate catalog (PDF).
A bachelor's degree in education studies will put you on a path to achieving your dream of becoming a teacher.
Where our graduates work after graduation
• AIM Academy
• Allentown School District
• Annville-Cleona High School
• Bridge TEFL
• Bright Eyes Academy
• Bucks County Intermediate Unit
• Capital City High School
• Central Montgomery MH/MR Center
• Esperanza Academy Charter HS
• Gwynedd Mercy University
• NECC MH/MR Early Intervention
• Neshaminy School District
• Norristown School District
• North Penn School District
• Pencil Box
• Pennridge School District
• Philadelphia School District
• Radnor School District
• Our Lady Of Mercy
• The Goddard School
• The Malvern School
• Wissahickon School District