Applied Psychology Degree Program (Online Option)
Apply Psychological Methods to Real-World Problems
A bachelor’s degree in psychology can be the beginning of a rewarding career in human services roles. But the Bachelor of Science in Applied Psychology at GMercyU offers you the opportunity to put psychological methods and tools to work in a variety of industries.
Our two-year Bachelor of Science in Applied Psychology degree completion program equips you with basic counseling skills and a theoretical understanding of how psychology functions within an industry, business, and other organizations. After completing your applied psychology degree online with us, you can:
• Pursue roles in human and social services organizations
• Pursue roles related to organizational behavior and psychology in business, industry, government, and more
• Use your new skills to enhance your performance in your current profession
• Establish the skills you need to pursue graduate-level education in psychology, social services, and related occupations
This bachelor’s degree completion program features rigorous course content and a flexible on-ground or online format that works with your busy life. Whichever format you choose, you’ll become part of GMercyU’s caring, committed learning community, where you can make lifelong personal and professional connections.
If you’re looking for a traditional on-campus college experience, learn more about the bachelor’s degree in Psychology offered on our Gwynedd Valley campus.
Understand Human Behavior to Create Change
The BS in Applied Psychology program builds on your previous college experience with courses that cover technical knowledge and practical skills in psychology, counseling, and organizational behavior. As you progress through the program as an applied psychology major, you will enhance your professional writing, presentation, and research capabilities. With the option of earning your Applied Psychology degree online, you can tailor the program to fit your schedule.
As a graduate of our online applied psychology program, you will be able to:
• Analyze the impact of physiology, cognition, social interaction, group situations, interpersonal relations, attitudes, opinions, group conflicts, language and communication on human behavior
• Understand and articulate the application of psychological principles across professional settings including mental health care, schools, general health care, social services, and corporate environments
• Identify the impact of psychology on societal issues including race, gender, religion, and social inequality and articulate the role of advocacy to affect policy and societal change
• Understand key concepts in statistics and research methodology and be able to use acquired knowledge and critical thinking skills to complete comprehensive and critical analysis of original research studies in the field – demonstrated through class discussion, presentations, and research papers
• Engage in basic therapeutic counseling skills that allow you to interact appropriately across a variety of supervised professional settings
• Engage in critical thinking concerning the application of psychology and ethical issues relevant to this evolving field of study
The GMercyU Difference
At GMercyU’s School of Graduate and Professional Studies (GPS), we believe strong relationships foster academic achievement. We select faculty members who demonstrate a passion for developing talent as well as significant professional and academic distinction. We keep classes small so you can collaborate with classmates, developing meaningful working relationships with your professors and peers.
Increase the value of your online applied psychology degree by adding an undergraduate minor. GMercyU offers a wide variety of minors so you can choose the one that best meets your personal and professional goals.
The BS in Applied Psychology is a two-year degree completion program developed for students who have at least 30 credits of previous college experience. As an Applied Psychology major, you will need a total of 120 credits in order to graduate.
Our applied psychology program curriculum includes a set of required business administration and organizational management courses, plus general education and elective courses. The general education and electives you take will vary depending on your previous college experience. Please see our required applied psychology courses below.
• PSY111 - Statistics
• PSY200 - Developmental Psychology
• PSY210 - Abnormal Psychology
• PSY212 - Counseling & Communication Skills
• PSY312 - Research Methods
• PSY314 - Ethical Issues in Behavioral/Social Sciences
• PSY321 - Group Processes
• SOC335 - Human Services Administration
• SOC2000 - Society and Global Diversity
• BUS381 - Organizational Theory & Behavior
• PSY4000 - Capstone
• SOC303 - Policy and Social Change
• PSY303 - Career and Vocational Counseling
• PSY305 - Health Psychology
• PSY306 - Psychology of Special Populations
• PSY307 - Family, School, and Community Partnerships
• PSY313 - Coaching and Positive Psychology
For descriptions about our applied psychology courses, please view the undergraduate catalog (PDF).
What You Can Do With an Applied Psychology Bachelor's
As a graduate of the applied psychology program, you’ll be equipped for a variety of human services roles as well as human resources and organizational psychology-related roles.