WHAT IS THE EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM?
The program consists of a one day job shadowing experience that allows students to spend time observing a professional for the purpose of investigating a career field. Students are given the opportunity to shadow an alumnus or friend of Gwynedd Mercy University to experience a typical professional work environment in a field of interest.
The benefits that students receive from participating in this program are invaluable:
- Help you match your interest and skills with different careers options
- Develop your confidence when making career related decisions
- Provide opportunities for networking and possible internships or informational interviews
- Gain real world experience and see how to apply your education in a professional setting
Here are what students and hosts are saying about the Externship Program:
- I learned about a typical office atmosphere. I also learned a lot about the types of educational backgrounds and special training it takes to make it in this field.
- From this externship I learned that there are different jobs within the career field I am interested in and there are several organizations that offer internships in my field.
- He taught me to not give up on what I am pursuing. I learned that networking plays a very big role in any type of business.
- The externship that I experienced was very informative and made me realize this is definitely what I want to do. The experience was very helpful.
- I had a great job shadowing experience. I know the student is looking at internships for next year and, because of a great externship experience, I would be happy to host her for an internship next fall.
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Contact Office for additional hours)
Location: Learning Commons (Lourdes Library)
Phone: 215-646-7300, ext. 230
Job Search Web Site: www.collegecentral.com/gmercyu
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com (search for Gwynedd Mercy University)