Community Service Opportunities
Welcome! Are you interested in community service? Looking for a way to get involved in both the campus and the community? Seeking a way to link your faith with your desire to serve? At Campus Ministry, we offer a variety of ways in which you can get involved!
Our community service program reflects and enhances the University's commitment to the Mercy tradition of service to society. Our goal is to connect the talents of Gwynedd Mercy University students with people in need in our wider community, as well as to offer students opportunities to reflect on their experience of service. All students, regardless of faith background, are encouraged to explore the opportunities below.
Don't see what you're looking for? Contact Campus Minister Lauren DuCharme, firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-641-5592.
Get to Know the Team!
We are grateful to our wonderful student leaders for coordinating weekly service:
- Kathleen Carroll, Carol Patton, Amy Schneider & Sean Welch
Our local volunteer opportunities reflect the Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.
- The Solana Horsham: Mondays from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
As an Assistive Living residence, The Solana offers specialized and compassionate care to those who need some help with activities of daily living. It offers support services daily to seniors who desire to retain their independence but do not require the skilled nursing care provided in nursing homes. The Solana also provides specially-designed programs and care for those with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia-related illnesses. Contact Carol Ann Patton – email@example.com
- Mercy Mentors (Ambler): Mondays 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Weekly group mentoring at The Villa for Children and Families in Ambler for youth who demonstrated a history of truancy, emotional trauma, family conflict and difficulties in the community. Please note that this is an ongoing commitment; these teens need stability! Transportation is provided. Contact Kathleen Carroll, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zumba at Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School: Fridays 2:30 - 5:00 p.m.Come to Cristo Rey High School in Philly and be part of their health and wellness curriculum! We leave from Visitation House on Fridays at 2:30 pm, Zumba with students from 3-4, have a few moments to chat and get to know students, faculty and staff and then return to campus by 5 pm. This is a really unique opportunity to grow in partnership and solidarity with a new group of God’s people. Weekly commitment encouraged but not mandatory. But keep in mind--we have a blast! Interested? Please contact Lauren DuCharme: email@example.com 215.641.5592!
- Manna on Main Street (Lansdale): Fridays 3-6 p.m.
Relying on a core of volunteers, Manna seeks to end hunger in the North Penn region by providing food, fulfilling social service needs and conducting community education through a food pantry and soup kitchen, emergency financial aid, counseling and referrals in community outreach. Manna’s vision is “that everyone might be fed." Contact Sean Welch, firstname.lastname@example.org
To find additional volunteer opportunities near Gwynedd Mercy University, you can contact agencies directly, view a map of our community partners or search a database of non-profits throughout Montgomery County, PA by visiting Info Link PA.
Campus Ministry offers service-immersion experiences during school breaks as part of Gwynedd Mercy University’s commitment to the Mercy tradition of service to society. Students, faculty and staff who participate in these experiences have a desire to:
- Be of service to others
- Learn more about economic poverty, diversity and social justice
- Grow in their spirituality
- Reflect on their experiences together as a community
- Strengthen their leadership qualities and commitment for the future
Our Alternative Spring Break trips this year took place the first week of March; check out our students' stories and photos! Intrigued? Want to get involved in 2015? Contact Lauren DuCharme at email@example.com or 215-641-5592. And many thanks to all who attended our Alternative Break BINGO on March 21, which raised over $2,000 for ASB!
Our ASB Teams in Baltimore, Cincinnati and Baltimore enjoyed their experiences and one another's company!
- Sisters of Mercy Institute Justice Team
- Mercy Global Action at the United Nations
- Mercy Beyond Borders
- Mercy Volunteer Corps
- Bread for the World
- Pax Christi
- Millennium Development Goals
- SOA Watch: Information about the School of the Americas
Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation: