Placement Program for College English and Mathematics
Placement Assessment Program
To ensure that every student admitted to Gwynedd Mercy University is prepared to succeed in college-level courses, many of which require advanced writing and mathematics skills, the University requires that new students take the Gwynedd Mercy University English and mathematics placement assessments before registering for their first semester at Gwynedd Mercy University.
Students are exempt from taking the respective placement exam if they meet one of the following exemptions:
1. A score of three or above on the Princeton Advanced Placement Test in English and/or mathematics (Calculus or Statistics);
2. A score of at least 650 in the critical reading and/or mathematics sections of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) OR a score of 29 or higher on the English or mathematics ACT test;
3. Transfer credits for college-level English composition or college-level mathematics courses (earned grade of C or better) through the official acceptance of transfer credits by the Registrar’s Office at Gwynedd Mercy University.
Scheduling of Assessments
It is the student's responsibility to register for their placement assessment. Please contact Stephanie Alderfer in the Academic Resource Center to set up an appointment. Email email@example.com or call 267-448-1347 to schedule a placement assessment.
Placement Assessments are held in the Academic Resource Center which is located on the 2nd floor of the Library building.
Sign up early! Space is limited. There are only 12 available appointments at a time. Additionally, placement assessments are required to be completed prior to registration. Register early for the best possible class schedule.
Please be sure to cancel your placement assessment appointment if you find you cannot attend your scheduled appointment so that we can open the space up for someone else.
- The computerized placement assessments include objective questions in mathematics and reading skills, as well as a written essay.
- Bring photo identification with you. Acceptable identification includes your driver's license, school ID card, or passport.
- Calculators may be used for the math assessment. Bring a calculator (no phones) and pencil. Scrap paper is provided.
- Tests are untimed; retests are not permitted.
- Please report to the Academic Resource Center located on the 2nd floor of the Library building 5 to 10 minutes prior to your scheduled assessment time.
- Visit our Accepted Students page for other information.
Sample Placement Tests for Review (courtesy of ACT/Compass)