Placement Program for College English and Mathematics
Placement Assessment Program
To ensure that every student admitted to Gwynedd Mercy University is prepared to succeed in college-level courses, many of which require advanced writing and mathematics skills, the University requires that new students take the Gwynedd Mercy University English and mathematics placement assessments before registering for their first semester at Gwynedd Mercy University. Transfer students must take the English and mathematics placement assessments before registering for any courses at Gwynedd Mercy University unless they have satisfied the requirements for college-level English and mathematics through the official acceptance of transfer credits by the Registrar's Office at Gwynedd Mercy University.
Students who score a three or above in the Princeton Advanced Placement Test in English and/or mathematics (Calculus or Statistics), or who score at least 650 in the critical reading and/or mathematics sections of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) are not required to take the respective assessments at Gwynedd Mercy University.
Scheduling of Assessments
It is the student's responsibility to register for a convenient date and time. Please contact Stephanie Alderfer in the Academic Resource Center to set up an appointment. Email email@example.com or call 267-448-1347 to schedule a placement assessment.
Placement Assessments are held in the Academic Resource Center which is located on the 2nd floor of the Lourdes Library building.
Sign up early! Space is limited. There are only 12 available appointments at a time. Additionally, placement assessments are required to be completed prior to registration. Register early for the best possible class schedule.
Please be sure to cancel your placement assessment appointment if you find you cannot attend your scheduled appointment so that we can open the space up for someone else.
- The computerized placement assessments include objective questions in mathematics and reading skills, as well as a written essay.
- Bring photo identification with you. Acceptable identification includes your driver's license, school ID card, or passport.
- Calculators may be used for the math assessment. Bring a calculator (no phones) and pencil. Scrap paper is provided.
- Tests are untimed; retests are not permitted.
- Please report to the Academic Resource Center located on the 2nd floor of the Lourdes Library building 5 to 10 minutes prior to your scheduled assessment time.
- Information regarding criteria that would exempt an incoming student from taking the math and/or English placement assessment(s) can be found on our Accepted Students page.
Sample Placement Tests for Review (courtesy of ACT/Compass)