The formal garden, now know as the Lady Garden , was built in 1906-1907. It was part of the original Willowbrook estate which is now Gwynedd Mercy University . The Georgian Revival design of the adjacent building, Assumption Hall, and the garden walls was the work of Horace Trumbauer, a well-know Philadelphia architect.
The layout of the garden features a central, almost oval area that opens up from an ornate ironwork gate. At the other end of the oval, facing the gate, shallow steps rise to a semicircular terrace framed by a graceful Greek colonnade. The landscaped area is filled with beautiful flowers, plants and shrubs. Over the years, many couples have come to the gardens as a backdrop for their wedding photos.
With a donation of $150, wedding parties may have their pictures taken in the Lady Garden . (We ask that wedding parties keep any champagne or other alcoholic beverages inside their limousines.)